Boring Issues

I understand your problem. And I have been doing that kind of operation successfully. The trick is to wrap the outside of the material with Duct-Seal (HVAC folks use it). It kills the harmonics. And it would also help to use a solid Carbide boring bar. I see no problem if done this way. The chatter will be gone…Dave.

You may need to wrap tape around the Duct-Seal if it starts to fly off;).
Leaning towards a collet chuck system, but this is interesting. If nothing else I might just have to try it. I would have never thought of duct-seal. MKSJ also suggest a brown paper bag. I really love the simple innovations that this group brings forward :)

So you want to end up with a 6 inch long, ~ 1" diameter tube with a .010" wall? I guess it can be done, but you would start with oversize stock, say 1.25". Bore it to .990, you need bigger than 3/8 to get to 3" without chatter. Fill the bore with low melt metal to stabilize(Wood's metal?). Then turn the outside to 1.00. Melt the filler out and hopefully it doesn't turn into a twizzler.

Or just buy thin wall tube.
You are the second person to suggest just buying tube, which I agree is totally logical. And if I were running a shop and had years of knowledge already, thats probably what I would do. If I needed something quickly for a customers order it wouldn't make a lot of sense doing what I am doing. Bottom line is that I have a LOT of learning to do and a ton of scrap metal laying around to experiment on. So taking a scrap piece of SS and boring it gives me the opportunity to gain experience, ask a lot of questions of this group, myself, and my equipment, and learn a lot. Not to mention that it is a challenge for me. I also love that it gives my brain something to noodle :)

Just a quick thanks to everyone. This board is freaking amazing. Appreciate all of you sharing your knowledge with those of us still trying to figure things out.

Back