Bostar Quick Change Tool Post....AXA or 0XA for my Grizzly G0768????

Greg Madrigal

Registered
Registered
HI Guys. I'm looking for a QCTP for my Grizzly G0768. I've settled on a Bostar wedge type, but am wondering if I should opt for the AXA or the 0XA size. Anyone have experience with the pros and cons of both? I feel like the AXA will be large and in the way compared to the AXA, but wondering if the latter will have shortcomings in regards to tool size capacity or other limitations I'm unaware of. I'd prefer the 0XA if possible just to keep things compact. Thanks in advance.

I would think that the OXA would be the choice but measure the distance from the top of the compound to the spindle center. That distance should be equal or greater than the distance from the bottom of the tool holder to the top of the cutting tool. Shars website has dimensions for the OXA and AXA tool holders. An AXA tool holder with a 1/2" tool is approximately 15/16". With a 3/8" tool, it would be 13/16"

HI Guys. I'm looking for a QCTP for my Grizzly G0768. I've settled on a Bostar wedge type, but am wondering if I should opt for the AXA or the 0XA size. Anyone have experience with the pros and cons of both? I feel like the AXA will be large and in the way compared to the AXA, but wondering if the latter will have shortcomings in regards to tool size capacity or other limitations I'm unaware of. I'd prefer the 0XA if possible just to keep things compact. Thanks in advance.

Like RJ says, you need to measure from the top of the compound to the center of the spindle. An AXA would probably restrict you to 1/4" or 3/8" tools, where with an OXA you might even get away with 1/2". Take a look at this video to see what you have to do to install an AXA on a G0768. You might want to look at this OXA install video as well. It looks like you will have to resolve some issues either way.

Whichever size you get if you need the tool to go lower to reach center and the holder is bottoming out you can mill off some of the bottom of the tool holder to let if go low enough to get center.

Whichever size you get if you need the tool to go lower to reach center and the holder is bottoming out you can mill off some of the bottom of the tool holder to let if go low enough to get center.
I did this on my Logan 10" to get a BXA to work (instead of an AXA).

The larger tool post is worth it for rigidity. The difference is astounding as you go up in size. The move from AXA to BXA reduced my chatter worries by 1/2. Ive since moved to a CA (2 sizes up from a BXA), and I'm not sure I could chatter without trying hard!

I have the 768 and went through the same thing you are I finally settled on the OXA(wedge style) from LMS. No matter which way you go you will have to make modifications to get them to fit. I chose the OXA because it is more forgiving when using the tailstock for support the AXA gets in the way when trying to work close. Too bad that the 4 way that comes with it is less than convenient it is probably the best size by far. The OXA will work with up to 1/2" inch tools but the 4 deg cuttoff is somewhat limited as to how much you can extend the blade before you are too high limiting the depth of cut. Unfortunately no Goldylocks fit unless you make your own.

Back