Bought a HAMILTON Sensitive Drilling Machine (info needed)

intrepid

Registered
Registered
I came across this Hamilton Sensitive Drilling Machine at such a good price I had to add it to my collection of machines. I don't have a need for it at the moment but for its size it is a beast and I'm sure it will get some use in my shop once its cleaned up and serviced. It runs fine now and everything seems tight although some if it is just old oil and is gummed up. Not sure of the weight but I'd guess close to 100 pounds. I would also like to date it and so far after quick look I have not been able to locate a serial number or dates. There is a hole in the center of the base with a screw and knob on the front to tighten in some sort of accessory. Were there different attachments available? At this point I am thinking of making a small table and a small vise for work holding when drilling very small. I've searched the internet and found some Hamilton machines similar but not the same. Any information would be helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_2214.jpeg
    IMG_2214.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2215.jpeg
    IMG_2215.jpeg
    382.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2218.jpeg
    IMG_2218.jpeg
    313.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2220.jpeg
    IMG_2220.jpeg
    218.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2223.jpeg
    IMG_2223.jpeg
    415 KB · Views: 26
Can you not post pictures as jpegs? They are easier to view

Also wondering what the speeds should be. It appears the motor pulley may have been change. Looks like a shop made two speed aluminum pulley. After giving it a good cleaning and oiling I took readings and found the low speed to be 1309 rpm and the high speed 2641 rpm. Not sure what the factory specs were but I suspect these numbers are close?

That machine would be great for drilling pc boards, especially with those brittle carbide drills

I am surprised that it does not have an intermediate table as would be the norm for bench drills.

I am surprised that it does not have an intermediate table as would be the norm for bench drills.
I was just doing some research and learned the actually had two tables. The first was a round table about 5". The second was a rectangle that fit over the round and would spin and could be locked in place. Seems easy enogh to make once I find the size and get some time.

I was just doing some research and learned the actually had two tables. The first was a round table about 5". The second was a rectangle that fit over the round and would spin and could be locked in place. Seems easy enogh to make once I find the size and get some time.
That would make it much more convenient to use.

The one I have is an older one, and has the 2 tables - The upper square table, I guess, is for "normal" use, and clamps to the under, round table, which looks to be precision ground for "fine" work. The upper table can also be freely rotated on the round table.
My drill is a 2 speed, round belt driven, from a motor mounted behind, on the base - It came with a nice Jacobs 1A chuck.
These are most excellent little drills - My wife uses it in her jewelry studio.

hamilton.jpg

Back