Bought a homemade disk sander which turned out to be out of balance

ericc

Active User
Registered
I found a homemade disk sander at a garage sale. It looked like it would be possible to use it for grinding tools. It was not reversible, so I decided to open it up and find the start winding and disconnect it from the run winding. This turned out to be possible, but the wiring was tight and the connection posts were broken. I pulled out the board that the posts were anchored in, and ended up shearing off a screw. This thing was pretty old. Eventually, I was able to rebuild the board with a modern fiberglass epoxy scrap electronic PCB from a defunct power supply. The motor could now be run in reverse by hand switching the start winding connections. A triple pole double throw toggle switch with disconnected center position worked great for this. Unfortunately, after putting everything together and sticking a zirconium paper sanding disk to the plate, it ran really out of balance It was shaking so much it was probably not possible to grind a tool, but it ground a 1/2" mild steel bar quickly.

To experiment with the balance, I screwed a stainless steel hose clamp around the hub, and captured a large nut. This worked really well. I am now making some better balancers after looking at some of the recent posts. Looks like you need two to adjust the extra degree of freedom for the distance of the mass from the center. I'm surprised that I didn't notice the wobbling when I bought the sander. I guess I was just happy to see it run.

Attachments

• grindbal.jpg
    grindbal.jpg
    411.5 KB · Views: 106
Hmmm, looks like the PO installed the dual-action upgrade. Surprised he didn't charge extra for that.

I saw a video on DIY balancing driveshafts that used two hose clamps. Start off with the hose clamps next to each other. Put a cup of water on the differential. Run the engine with the driveshaft turning as fast as you dare. See what the water is doing. Stop the engine or put the trany in neutral. Separate the hose clamps a little. Keep doing this until the water in the cup stops bouncing around and just sits there all calm and peaceful. Really scary to watch. The guy had the tires on with the differential sitting on jack stands. Can only imagine what would happen if the car slipped off of one of the jack stands.

You could put two hose clamps on the shaft with a cup of water on the motor. Keep moving them apart until the water is calm.

Back