BP Quill Scoring

kopeck

Registered
Registered
Hi Guys,

I just bought a "new" J-Head Bridgeport. It came out of a production environment, the price was pretty reasonable and it was local so I jumped. It has some good points, like a recently overhauled motor and spindle and it is mechanically sound (everything works). It's also has it's fair share of wear but I knew that going in.

The one thing I didn't look really closely at was the quill. It's got quite a lot of scoring. Most of it's in the first 2" or so then it gets better.

The quill seems to go up and down OK. I don't feel that it's loose in the bore though I haven't put an indicator on it yet. Is this going to cause issues? I'm new to the milling machines. I watched some videos on what to look for on BPs, most of it was wear in the ways and run out in the spindles, not a lot on the quill it's self.

Thanks,

K

my older J head looks the same.

No running issues with the quill being like that? I haven't dated my machine yet but I suspect it's older, the paint is VERY thick. I'm sure the shop I bought it from got it used so who knows it's real history.

It spent its time milling ductile iron and bronze. My limited experience with iron is its dusty and that dust gets everywhere. I suspect that's where the scoring is from.

Is it hard to remove the quill? I wonder if an inspection/cleaning is in order.

K

The quill should be easily removable, usually just a matter of removing the downfeed pinion gear, and sliding the whole assembly downward and out. Likely, the ductile iron is the culprit.

One of many videos out there... YouTube is your friend!

Ted

Hey Ted,

YouTube is my friend, we're so close it's starting to get awkward...Just ask my wife.

Anyway, that video is to remove the spindle, I want to remove the quill. Just looking things over it doesn't look to be to huge a job.

Thanks!

K

Well then, make sure you don't miss these!

Ted

Yeah, I've watched a bunch of those. What an awesome resource!

At first I wasn't sure I wanted to get a machine that showed this much use. Talking to a few guy though it seems like they're all worn and if they're not the prices are pretty steep. Just googling the going rate for a 3 axis refurb if I went that route I would still be in it less than what a "good" mill goes for.

I think I'm going to clean it up real well and just see how it goes.

The quill bothers me but I see there's a couple of used ones on eBay if I feel the need and the bore the quill rides in isn't fouled up!

K

Back