Bridgeport fine tune pulley

Mgdoug3

Registered
Registered
I bought a Bridgeport M mill and Leblond 17x54 lathe last week. I've had a Clausing 4914 lathe for just over a year now. I know how to use a lathe but a mill is still new to me.

My plastic pulley/handle was cracked and I figured it wouldn't be long until it was completely broken. I had a 5" round bar of aluminum and decided to use it. The original handle was a little under 6. I had some larger steel bars but wanted to go with aluminum since I don't have to paint it and won't rust.

I started the project on the Leblond lathe and it took a while to turn it down enough. I don't have a big enough parting tool for the lathe so I put it in the band saw and left a little extra so I could play on the mill.

I trammed the mill yesterday and by looking at the patterns, I have it trammed just right. I used the mill to drill a hole for the roll pin. My big drill press doesn't hold small drill bits and the piece would be clumsy to hold in my little drill press.

It was a fun project to do but it took longer than expected. I had a lot of material to remove and my bandsaw isn't fast. Overall I'm happy with the results. It's definitely better than having a cracked handle.

Attachments

• 20210127_230930.jpg
    20210127_230930.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 37
  • 20210127_230905.jpg
    20210127_230905.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 38
It looks great.

Congratulations on the "new" machines.

-brino

Back