Bridgeport quill precision stop upgrade.

Parlo

Registered
Registered
I decided to finally sort out the play in my Bridgeport quill stop. The adjusting male thread is held by a circlip that can flex giving variable depth results and the adjusting nut also flexes. So I decided to bypass the screw and use the casting face as a datum. The variation was over 0.008" depending on the pressure on the handle to 0.0002" variation using the stop washer.
Videos should describe the idea.
Supplementary video showing use with quill feed and stop nut flex.
washer.jpg

Looks good! Just be sure to remove it, when not needed. Otherwise, if you use the power downfeed the kick off mechanism won't function.

Looks good! Just be sure to remove it, when not needed. Otherwise, if you use the power downfeed the kick off mechanism won't function.
Please see the video - quill stop 22. It shows that it works with the quill downfeed.

Seems to me that with approximately the same downforce, the repeatability is pretty good. It's not the 0.008" deflection, it's how much does the 0.008" vary from each cycle.

Please see the video - quill stop 22. It shows that it works with the quill downfeed.
Didn't see that video, slick! Thanks for creating me.:encourage:

Seems to me that with approximately the same downforce, the repeatability is pretty good. It's not the 0.008" deflection, it's how much does the 0.008" vary from each cycle.
If the downforce could be controlled then a more consistent result would happen. I found that following a small downforce to move the dti a couple of thou it did not take much more to move a further 8 thou. Stops with any amount of movement in their assembly are not a good idea so I bypassed the nuts and screw entirely.

Back