Bridgeport Right Angle Head Brands?

G-ManBart

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hey all,

One of the things in my "that looks like it might be handy" list is a right angle head for my Bridgeport 2J 2hp. I see them pretty frequently at equipment auctions in the area and was wondering if anybody has a preference between Bridgeport and Dorian brands? I know there are some less expensive imports, but I'd like to keep it an all-USA machine if possible. My guess is both are fine, but thought maybe someone who has experience with both might think more highly of one than the other...that sort of thing. I'm not in any kind of rush, so I can wait for the right deal to come along. Thanks in advance!

Bart

I haven't used both, but did use a Bridgeport brand on many jobs through the course of probably 30 years. Never had an issue with it other than a little maintenance. If you've never used one, just be sure to tighten the drawbar before clamping it to the quill. I've seen what happens if you don't!

Last edited:
Only used the Bridgeport brand also. In fact have the complete horizontal milling set up. But I've only used the right angle head. Works great.

I've owned and used both over the years and haven't had had any issues with any of them . I currently have the 90 degree head with the v clamp and arbors for straddle milling . Works great when needed . The head itself comes in handy for slotting and doing work on longerish parts .

Thanks for the comments! It seems the Dorian versions go for more on eBay, but I'm not really sure why. There was one at an auction nearby this week...went for something like $600 plus 18% buyer's premium and 6% tax. I did the preview since it was only minutes away, and through the Dorian looked nice, but nothing jumped out at me why it would be worth more than a Bridgeport example. There was some really good buys at that auction, so it wasn't one where everything sold for crazy numbers....odd. I'm not in any rush, so I'll keep my eye out for a deal.

That's not cheap . I sold quite a few BP heads on the bay for $200 or so .
Thanks for the comments! It seems the Dorian versions go for more on eBay, but I'm not really sure why. There was one at an auction nearby this week...went for something like $600 plus 18% buyer's premium and 6% tax. I did the preview since it was only minutes away, and through the Dorian looked nice, but nothing jumped out at me why it would be worth more than a Bridgeport example. There was some really good buys at that auction, so it wasn't one where everything sold for crazy numbers....odd. I'm not in any rush, so I'll keep my eye out for a deal.
I listed my remaining full set-up on here for $450.00 but not sure yet if I want it gone .

I have a Gemtech I believe. Built well.

Back