Bridgeport Series 1 CNC - Inspect Ball Screw?

dansawyer

Registered
Registered
The machine is a Bridgeport Series 1 CNC, I estimate to be in the BOSS 3 to BOSS 5 range. I have a Bijur auto oiler installed and working. It is definitely working on the Y ways. After an hour or so of operation the ways are clean and covered in a very light sheen of oil.
I would like to inspect the Ball Screws for lubrication. I read a post about 'loosening the screw nut and sliding the bed', However the post was not specific about which nut. Can someone confirm if they were refering to the motor side or the non motor side?
Can any one add any detail to this description?
Thank you in advance, Dan

The easiest way to be able to see if the ballscrews are getting lube would be to take the Y axis motor casting off and take the table off. Well, not take the table completely off, but you need to be able to get to the nut block/yoke and the table would have to be off almost all the way to get to that.

Jon

Did you mean X or Y. If the Y motor / casting interface is removed that will move the saddle + table assembly to move away from the mill. I thought the process was to remove the X connection and move the table away from over the saddle. This would leave only about 3 inches of overlap between the X ways on the saddle and the table, reuqiring supporting the table.

I kept both axis in the same discussion.

1. Taking the Y axis motor casting off to be able to get to the Y axis screw and see if the Y axis is getting lube.
2. Taking off the table will allow you access to the X axis nut that is inside of the yoke to verify that you are getting lube to that screw.

Are your lines metal or plastic?

Jon

The one that I can see is plastic. I do not have a good view into the knee/yoke to identify what those are. Is there a way to check?

Typically they are all the same. The metal ones clog up alot more than the plastic ones.

Back