Bridgeport Series 1 for 2500

wnchstrtnfldvlle

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello,

I have been researching knee mills for a little while. I currently have the PM-25, and just want something significantly larger. I came across this Bridgeport on Marketplace and wanted to ask for some opinions/advice on whether this is a great deal. I've already sent him a few preliminary questions, but wanted your input.
I know it will need some restoration and it doesn't come with a DRO, is there anything else that jumps out at anyone as a red flag? Or, do you have any important questions I should ask him?

1. I asked about the phase converter he mentions in the ad.
2. I asked about anything inoperable or in need of repair.
3. I asked about how often he has used it, and performed maintenance on it.

Any input would be appreciated. These are the photos from the ad. I can always request more.

Tony

Attachments

• Bridgeport 1.jpg
    Bridgeport 1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 88
  • bridgeport 2.jpg
    bridgeport 2.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 85
  • bridgeport 3.jpg
    bridgeport 3.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 81
  • bridgeport 4.jpg
    bridgeport 4.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 94
I'm not a big fan of the variable speed heads because they can have some expensive problems.
If buying from a person who you trust and know the machine is sound then that would be ok, but when
these things get worn/noisy you are in for a big job getting it fixed. Less to go wrong with the step pulley heads.
I also like the shorter tables; the 36 and 32 inch. The long ones like 42 are more prone to warp and wear in the center

Last edited:
I guess I’m just the opposite. I have a 1.5 hp series 1 machine with the variable speed head and a 42” table.

I prefer the variable speed head because I do a lot of drilling and tapping. Just the turn of a crank and you can change speeds. It would be a real pita to drill and tap 100 holes if you had to continually change the belt.

I also prefer a larger table. There have been many times I wished I had a 49” one. I’ve had this mill close to 25 years. It gets used on an almost daily basis and has yet to have an issue with the variable speed drive.

The price doesn’t sound bad if it’s in decent condition.

The price is just about where it should be, I've seen them a little cheaper but not much.
I'd rather run a vari-drive, I'd rather repair a step pulley.

Does the tooling come with it? That vise appears to be a quick action drill-press vise, not a milling vise.
The S&D drill held in the chuck when it could be held in a collet gives me cause to wonder how well he cared for his equipment, but that's just me.

Run it through the full speed range in both high and low listening for expensive noises.
Pump the one-shot lube (if there is one) to see if it works and if there's oil in it.

Points off for the gutted BP power feed. will need to be repaired/replaced. I've never worked on one, is there an extension on the lead-screw for the power feed or is it longer than standard?

I'm not a big fan of the variable speed heads because they can have some expensive problems.
If buying from a person who you trust and know the machine is sound then that would be ok, but when
these things get worn/noisy you are in for a big job getting it fixed. Less to go wrong with the step pulley heads.
I also like the shorter tables; the 36 and 32 inch. The long ones like 42 are more prone to warp and wear in the center
Exactly

That's not a great price, nor a ripoff. Power it up and check for bad noises as suggested.

I'd run the table to various points and check for backlash as well. If you have the ability to check runout, do it.

You'll need a vise; that's not a mill vise. The clamp set is nice, but only worth about $50. NO tooling, no DRO, no power feed. Power feed on the quill is worth a lot to me, as is a large table (as long as you have the room). For that price, push to have the phase converter included - also find out what he;s using for a phase converter - rotary, VFD, static or digital.

There will be better deals out there, as well as worse options.

Thank you all so far for the feedback. Still waiting on a reply from the seller.

Price varies a lot with location, but even here in the Midwest, with lots of machinery available that wouldn't be a terrible price unless it has some serious, hidden damage.

I don't know why so many folks think VS head fixes are expensive. That's certainly possible, but not necessarily the norm. Mine needed new bushings when I bought it so I rebuilt the head following the H&W videos and it was pretty simple...a weekend project that wasn't terribly expensive. I can't recall exactly...I installed new bushings, bearings, belts, grease, etc and it was only a couple of hundred dollars. It was bad enough that it wouldn't even turn when I first powered it up, and I thought the motor was toast.

Edit...went back and found my invoice. It was $250 in parts for the bushing kit, upper and lower bearings, VS and timing belts.

Last edited:
Well,
He never replied so that was an easy decision. Lol. Again thanks for the replies.

Back