Bridgeport Vs PM 932V input

Nbak95

Registered
Registered
Needing some input on pulling the trigger on a mill to expand on my capabilities, torn between a precision Matthew’s 932V or a used J head Bridgeport. I’ve seen comments about the quality of Chinese made machines have worse QC before they leave, the Bridgeport is in decent shape. I’m limited on space in the garage but the J head is a 36inch table and it would fit so 932 would have more room to deal with. I’d be building my own stand for the 932 as PM is out of stock til September.
Used Bridgeport has power feed and comes with some decent tooling, clamp kit, and vise and VFD so it can be run on 115V ($3500)
New 932V is around 4300 delivered with power feed.
Need some insight on pros and cons

I'm surprised nobody has commented on this yet! I won't knock a PM machine, but a Bridgeport in decent condition, with power feed and the other accessories sure sounds like a good start. I don't know if resale is ever a consideration, but it'll be a lot easier to sell a BP, and if you ever need parts for it, even decades down the road, you'll be able to get them. There's very little on a BP that can't be rebuilt, replaced or fixed so there isn't a whole lot of risk going that route. It won't be new, but if it's not trashed, it should be more than fine. My BP is nice, but it isn't new and I have yet for the machine to be the limiting factor, or even a consideration when I'm trying to do something. It also sounds like you'd have to spend a fair bit on a vise, power feed, etc to get the PM to the same condition, so the price gap will grow even bigger.

Bridgeport all the way, provided it is in decent shape.

Richard

The final question is now I’m torn between two machines. A J head 1HP
Or a variable speed 2HP same price one comes with tooling the other doesn’t. Have to do some research on VFD on a variable speed head or go with the 1HP that already has one installed
Thanks for all the input!

Condition would make my choice.

Tooling is good, but if you have to rebuild the machine before using it….

John

Back