Brought The Bridgeport Br2j Home Today

I'm a little confused by what you said........But, yes, the motor should run forward and reverse.

Assuming you have a single speed motor, and the switch is just labeled High/Off/Low rather than For/Off/Rev, then the following applies:

Switch = High (Forward), in high gear, the spindle should run Forward (clockwise looking down from the top)

Switch = Low (Reverse), in high gear, spindle should run Reverse (counterclockwise)

Switch = High (Forward), in low gear, spindle should run Reverse (counterclockwise)

Switch = Low (Reverse), in low gear, spindle should run Forward (clockwise)

If you have a 2 speed motor then the switch should have 5 positions rather than 3. But I don't ever remember seeing a BP with a 2 speed motor.

I'll put a couple of pictures up, they make more sense than my attempt at explaining. This machine has no reverse setting, but now when the the power switch is in High, and the transmission is in Low it has reverse. This also happens when the power switch is in Low and the transmission is in High. Here is the RPC as well, this isn't the final set up, just the "I can't wait and I need to turn switches on" configuration.
IMG_0933.JPG IMG_0932.JPG IMG_0930.JPG

IMG_0931.JPG

Just ignore the markings on the switch. The short answer is there is no FOR/REV marking on the switch, but switching will cause the motor to run one way or the other.

When the transmission is in Hi, when the switch is switched one way will run forward, switched the other way it will run reverse. When the transmission is in Lo, forward and reverse positions will be reversed on the switch.

LO gear mechanically changes the spindle rotation relative to the motor because of the reduction gearing.

Last edited:
I figured as much, but I was worried that I had wired something up wrong. Now it's time to tram the head and the vice and start making big pieces of metal into little ones!

This might come in handy. It's a link to the Bridgeport Series I Operators manual:

http://www.bluechipmachineshop.com/books/BP_Mill_Series1_Manual.pdf

It should provide you with the basics for installing, operating, and maintaining the machine.

If you find you need parts here's a good place to get them. They are very knowledgeable on Bridgeport machines, have everything you'll ever need in stock, will gladly guide you through any questions or problems you encounter.

http://www.machinerypartsdepot.com/

I've done business with them for nearly 15 years and they are great people to work with.

Thanks for the info, I have the manuals printed out in a 3 ring binder by the machine. I was going to buy a new knee clutch due to it and the knee handle being fairly rounded off, but then I took a file to both and sharpened up the edges. The teeth are a little smaller now but it didn't cost anything.

Congratulations on a successful start-up! It looks like you got a good machine and it will provide you with many hours of challenges as you begin your education of "milling". 3 Cheers!!!

Paul in MN

I spent the other night cleaning the power quill, it was junked up and not releasing. Then I split the X-axis nut and got the backlash down to .003". I started with .036", adjusted it down to .011" and now I am done messing with it. I will do the Y axis later this week. Plus my Bijor reservoir came in so I took the bungee cord off of the canteen cup, it looks proper now.

Back