Browning 1911-22 parts- thumb safety plunger

cab32

Registered
Registered
Browning produces the 1911-22. It is an aluminum frame and slide 80% size 22lr version of the Colt 1911. However no spare or aftermarket parts except grips are available. The trigger pull on my example was a gritty 9 lbs. Inspection of the hammer notch reveals an acute release angle which causes the excessive trigger weight by requiring that the sear slightly cam the hammer back against the main spring before clearing the notch. I dressed the sear and slightly changed the hammer notch angle a little while still retaining it as more acute than most full size 1911's. This slightly improved trigger pull to 6 lbs with a crisp break. It could stand some improvement but that will need to wait until replacement hammers and sears are more available in case I go to far.
I lost the thumb safety plunger as it shot across the room during reassembly and could not find it even after a month of scanning the floor with a magnet. I noticed that the small diameter of the slide release plunger from a full size 1911 is the correct size so I removed the shoulder of that piece in the lathe yielding a straignt cylinder with the small teat already machined at one end. This modified part fits and functions like the lost part and the pistol is back in service. I also crimped both the end and the middle of the plunger tube spring so it would not happen again.
I hope this is helpful to someone in the same spot in the future.
The pic shows from left to right, 1. full size 1911 thumb safety plunger, 2. full size 1911 slide release plunger (note shoulder) 3. full size 1911 modified by removing shoulder in place with a browning 1911-22 plunger spring and slide stop plunger.
CAB

photo 1911 plunger.JPG

one trick
when taking apart things with springs put the thing in a big zip lock then take apart.

Zip-lok bag trick is pretty sweet thinking.

Now my question;

"Are the springs used here crimped in the middle to try and retain them in the tube during normal field stripping?"

Only thing I can think of. :think1:

I shoot a Kimber version of this pistol a lot. More accurate then normal .22 plinkers and I love the feel!

Zip-lok bag trick is pretty sweet thinking.

Now my question;

"Are the springs used here crimped in the middle to try and retain them in the tube during normal field stripping?"

Only thing I can think of. :think1:

I shoot a Kimber version of this pistol a lot. More accurate then normal .22 plinkers and I love the feel!

Correct. The crimp in the middle of the plunger tube spring is a standard old school method to keep the spring in the tube for the compulsive types who like to detail strip to clean. In this case, I also crimped each end to retain the plungers.
I also shoot a GSW which is a full size German made .22 version of the 1911 and just finished putting an old partially pitted Colt Service Ace conversion slide on a new Armscor frame, fitted an EMC hammer, Ed Brown sear and wilson Ambidexterous safety (i'm left handed)

Most i've seen are capable of being retained but some springs don't have the end coil turned in as to snap onto the plungers. simple to do with small needle nose.

As you say. On this little Browning, the ends were not crimped but they are now with the same method that you mentioned.
CAB

Back