[How-To] Browning gear reduction unit

MyLilMule

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have this 40:1 Browning gear reduction unit that gets stuck when trying to turn it. Closer examination shows some broken teeth on the worm gear. Are these worth fixing? I don’t have a way to cut gears and I don’t even know if the replacements are common or I’d have to have one made, which probably makes it too costly to fix.

I don’t have a current use for it. I’m considering just scrapping it.
a6583348b6df6352df1fade92d6c8b7e.jpg

10ca139630c75f8046d4818168d7fcc2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd probably just scrap it, angle drive boxes aren't too hard to come by.

Turn it in to some cash, put it on CL someone may have a need for it. You maybe able to trade it for something you would use.

if you do decide to keep it, you can find a selection of gears including worm gears at McMaster-Carr and you might get lucky and one will match what you have.

Drain it properly and toss it out . Most likely you'll have the brass in it to scrap out .

There's no such thing as "scrap". If nothing else, it would make a small boat anchor. If you needed the 40:1 drive, like making an index head, it certainly worth the trouble to fix. Are there any brass parts? The worm is well worth sitting on a shelf. The gear can be cut down to make a smaller ratio or as a plug of metal or whatever. The shell case box will only fit certain sizes, it most likely is a boat anchor.

Back