Bug ID

AGCB97

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Because of the vast knowledge of the members of this forum, I'll pose this question.

When I came downstairs this morning there was a bug on the floor. When I tried to stomp on it 3 or 4 times it jumped away just like a cricket. It was tan in color like a cockroach but I didn't think they could jump like a cricket. After I got my coffee it was still there and I snuck up on it and smooshed it. As I picked it up with a Kleenex I noticed it had a long protuberance emerging from it. I opened it onto a tablet and took some pictures. I'm hoping someone will recognize it and tell me what it is. When strung out the wormlike part is about 4" long. The bug was about 1" long. I don't know if the wormish part was part of the original bug all coiled up inside or being digested by it.
Thanks
Aaron

WIN_20210902_04_08_30_Pro.jpgWIN_20210902_04_10_13_Pro.jpgWIN_20210902_04_11_00_Pro.jpg WIN_20210902_04_07_13_Pro.jpg

Wow!
Regretfully, that bug is too exotic for me to know. I just go from deduction.
I do not think that all that tube was squished out innards. The volume competes with with the size of the whole bug.
Either the tube was part of it's original make-up, or it was tacking a worm, although in a bizarre way!

It would help to know if it was moving about at the time, and how, given the tube-like handicap.

The "bug" itself is sort of hard to identify since it has been partially "disassembled". It sort of looks like, including your description, what we would call a "cave cricket". I don't know the proper term, sorry. But "cave crickets" prefer dark, moist areas. I'm surprised to hear of one so far north. I don't suppose you have any "flying cockroaches" three or four inches long. That's a "deep south" thing. The cave crickets don't "sing" like a woods cricket and are a little larger. They do jump, and like most bugs are "considered" nasty. We manage to keep them out of the house with chemicals. But underneath the house, you're on your own. They are everywhere. I can't get chlorodane any more, that's the only thing I've found that works good. Besides the fact that they're a "bug", they seem harmless. They're not poisonous or anything, just a "bug".

The flying cockroach I mentioned is not really a cockroach, just what it's called. They are "water bugs" and not as dirty as a cockroach. But they do fly, and in northern Florida do grow to four inches and better. In central Alabama, they only get to be two inches or so.

Considering the hurricane that just went through NOLA, some southern bugs may have been blown further north. Just a thought. . .

Looks to me like it's a cricket infected with gordian worms; some better images would help.
Gordian worms are fascinating and more than a little creepy; another one of nature's mind controlling parasites.

Last edited:
Back