Rotating Welding Positioner

OK, so you need to watch a 45 minute video to make a bushing? You could have one done in half the time.

OK, so you need to watch a 45 minute video to make a bushing? You could have one done in half the time.

LOL !
It all depends on how accurate You want to make it. If You are like me who is trying to make it inside 10 microns, then it may take a tad more than 45 minutes. On the other hand, if Your tolerances are in the 100 micron region then this might be done in 20 minutes or even less. I hope that the video shows, how to make an accurate part.

Nevertheless, here is yet another video about the same project, this time it is the housing for the rotating welding positioner. This time the video is shorter (21 minutes) but believe me, the turning of this thing took a LOT longer than turning that bushing. This is beacuse it is a lot bigger and because I do not have a steady rest at the moment so I had a lot of trouble with chatter.

Looking forward to seeing the completed project in action

Turning an internal thread is always somehow challenging because you may not see into the hole. For example, making a start / end groove depends largely on Your imagination. So you have to imagine what’s going to happen there at the bottom of the hole.
The main topic of this video is single point turning such a thread. The end result is, of course, a nut that is open all the way through, but I decided to turn that thread while the piece was still attached to the stock.
The video is possibly far too long considering the simplicity of the part.

Back