Can a tinkercad file be turned into a real cad drawing?

I am going to make some more tool holders for my lathe and I figured I'd make a cad drawing for fun. I could just copy the one in hand but wanted to exercise my mind a little drawing it up. I have everything but the dovetail on the back before I thought, can I even print this in a drafting format for machining? I dont see that as an option with tinkercad. Freecad makes my brain go fuzzy. I can export to .obj .stl .glb and .svg. Do any of these formats play nice with other cad programs? If so would someone want to import it to their program and show the measurements in a 3 view(or iso I guess)? I'm not done with it yet, I figure why bother unless I can do something with the end file.
I haven't used Tinkercad specifically, but I've worked with a ton of different CAD technologies.

Based on the available export types, tinkercad is modeling in polygons (triangles), not precise solids and surfaces (e.g. planes, cylinders, spheres, splines). As some said, 3D printing runs off of polygonal models and these models are generally precise enough for hobby work. They won't play nicely with most 2D CAD programs (e.g. AutoCAD) because the drafting tools there expect to find circles, not a tessellated approximation of a circle (just one instance of the difference in shape definitions). They also don't play well with precise 3D CAD programs.

Some better 3D CAD applications that have free trial versions:
SketchUp (also polygonal, but miles better than tinkercad and does have a drawing package called Layout)
Onshape (precise 3D CAD, like traditional mechanical CAD programs; quite similar to SolidWorks in behavior but all in the browser)

If this is for hobbyist use, then I recommend learning and using a free 3d CAD tool. Forget free trials and junk like that, because those guys can hold your work and IP hostage. Use something like Fusion 360 if you want to deal with Autodesk, or something like FreeCAD. If you are not making money by using CAD, don't pay for it, save your money for other stuff!

Personally I use FreeCAD, because it's open source, and I can view it or change it, or leave untouched and run it as is, without fear of someone in management deciding they need more revenue this month. At the moment the only limits I have are that of my imagination and my skills in the tool.

Edit: This is admittedly not very sophisticated, but I was able to do this in not too much time. 3D modeled in FreeCAD, then drawing made with TechView workbench (included with FreeCAD).

Attachments

• pp700sa_adapter_pg2.pdf
    386.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Back