Can a VFD WORK WITH ANY MOTOR ?

O

ome

Forum Guest
Register Today
Hi everyone,
i just got a die filer and have read that it is better to add a VFD TOVTHE MOTOR. The motorisb1/3 hp and 110.
Do i need to change the motor ot not?
thanks for any info
Jon

If it is a 110 Vac motor it is single phase. VFDs are only for 3 phase motors. Bob

If it is a 110 Vac motor it is single phase. VFDs are only for 3 phase motors. Bob
Thanks very much
i alwYs thought they had a fix for single phase 110 motors.
Does it matter if the motor is ac or d
Thanks. Jon

Only 3 Phase motors can be reliably controlled with a normal VFD. Any single phase motor that has a start or run capacitor cannot be controlled with a VFD. There are only a couple kinds of single phase motors that can be speed controlled and there are two sub-issues thereof: 1) Those types of motors are typically not suitable for shop equipment. 2) It takes a special type of speed controller (other than a typical VFD) to control them.

Ray

Couldn't believe the prices on those motors. Figured they had to be Chinese. Looks like US made and reconditioned motors.

Brook Crompton motors are English made unless they have gone Chinese. They used to be used on Myford lathes. Anything is possible these days,though.

I am the one who advocates adding a speed control to your die filer. But,I found small 1/2 H.P. DC motors for mine,plus a speed control(not a VFD). A VFD would work just fine if you have a smaller(1/2 H.P. or so) 3 phase motor. I suggest you look up "Surplus Sales" for fractional H.P. motors and speed controllers for them. I even got a 1 1/4 H.P. DC motor and control for my Wilton Square Wheel belt grinder. It cost less than the 1 H.P. motors others were selling,plus it is more powerful. Check out using a used treadmill motor with a speed control. They are pretty cheap,and seem plentiful.

Only 3 Phase motors can be reliably controlled with a normal VFD. Any single phase motor that has a start or run capacitor cannot be controlled with a VFD. There are only a couple kinds of single phase motors that can be speed controlled and there are two sub-issues thereof: 1) Those types of motors are typically not suitable for shop equipment. 2) It takes a special type of speed controller (other than a typical VFD) to control them.

Ray
Thank you Ray ,
Jon

Brook Crompton motors are English made unless they have gone Chinese. They used to be used on Myford lathes. Anything is possible these days,though.

I am the one who advocates adding a speed control to your die filer. But,I found small 1/2 H.P. DC motors for mine,plus a speed control(not a VFD). A VFD would work just fine if you have a smaller(1/2 H.P. or so) 3 phase motor. I suggest you look up "Surplus Sales" for fractional H.P. motors and speed controllers for them. I even got a 1 1/4 H.P. DC motor and control for my Wilton Square Wheel belt grinder. It cost less than the 1 H.P. motors others were selling,plus it is more powerful. Check out using a used treadmill motor with a speed control. They are pretty cheap,and seem plentiful.
Thanks George,
Is the bellow for air important, because if not, I won't bother trying to fix it. Also, this filer seems to move pretty slow, is it possible that it might be ok and safe to use once I make a support for it?
If i did change motor and add speed control, what if shaft diameter is different?
Thanks,
Jon

Back