Can An Atlas Bed Be Cut Down?

This project is on hold for the moment. Several things getting in the way.
A - the 54 Inch bed is actually a Craftsman Bed not an Atlas and there seems to be some subtle differences.
1 - The Banjo doesn't look like it has the same mounting, the seems to be a missing threaded hole for the banjo to mount up at the headstock end.
2 - The 36 inch is a Vertical Counter Shaft and it looks like there is a Threaded hole missing on the backside of the bed for the motor mount.

While the 54 Inch bed is in better shape than the 36 inch I'm not sure the parts can be swapped over without significant additional machining to make it work.
However, I did find a post that was very encouraging on the process of making a lead screw from Acme Threaded Stock from McMaster Carr. It involved using a Mill for the Keyway Slot. Looked like something I could do.
So if I can at some time figure out the difference in mounting the parts from the TV36 onto the Craftsman Bed I may do that in the future.

Until then I'm focused on a QC 42 that works.

It would be fun to have (2) operational Lathes someday :)

well good luck with it.. if you have any spare parts for the qc. or need any, its worth a try... i need qcgb parts. tumbler and hanger..

Rod,

I think that the basic bed casting for the 10D, E and F is the same as for the Craftsman 12". All of the bed part numbers begin with 936, 942, 948 or 954 (except that on early parts list, the 936 is shown as 9-1). And I think that the three digit number is all that shows up on the casting. But the 10D, E and F used for example 954-B whereas all 14 of the 3/8" bed Craftsman models used for example 954-C. As the headstock and tailstock both attach only with the clamp underneath, the differences between the -B and the -C are the tapped holes for attaching the legs (maybe), countershaft, right lead screw bearing (maybe), and either reverse gearbox (10") or left leadscrew bearing or support (12). Some of the holes are certain to be in different locations. Your best bet would be to try to get the 954 drawing from Clausing. The Banjos are also different between the Change Gear, Quick Change, 10 & 12 (at least five different part numbers). But that has nothing to do with the beds.

Back