Can TouchDRO adapter be used for two machines

I'm sure @ycroosh will be along soon to give a definitive answer, but this question reminds me of a quote from one of the first Haynes manuals I read.

Not exactly the same situation but close enough that I'll put it here.

"It is a false economy to reuse gaskets when rebuilding...." or something like that.

I can't argue with the just give it a try camp but having dealt with a-b boxes quite a bit in my career I'd say there's likely to be something that will come up to bite you when least expected. Not sure about the quality of cheap ones but if you want a quality unit look up Black Box and be prepared to pay a premium.

For certain you can share a tablet but it will be interesting if sharing the adapter as you would like will actually work.

Cheers,

John

I'm sure @ycroosh will be along soon to give a definitive answer, but this question reminds me of a quote from one of the first Haynes manuals I read.

Not exactly the same situation but close enough that I'll put it here.

"It is a false economy to reuse gaskets when rebuilding...." or something like that.

I can't argue with the just give it a try camp but having dealt with a-b boxes quite a bit in my career I'd say there's likely to be something that will come up to bite you when least expected. Not sure about the quality of cheap ones but if you want a quality unit look up Black Box and be prepared to pay a premium.

For certain you can share a tablet but it will be interesting if sharing the adapter as you would like will actually work.

Cheers,

John
kind of with you the op would save $280 for a new adaptor and spend $100 and a lot of time to make it work, you have to value your time but for me it would be a wash, and I would just use 2 adaptors and share the tablet between them.
but this is just me!

Probably closer to $350 after postage and UK import taxes (assuming prebuilt, no probe)

Probably closer to $350 after postage and UK import taxes (assuming prebuilt, no probe)
ok but the cost of the work around will also go due to these factors, again it is his money and his time but with all the issues that this brings up i would go with 2 adaptors and sleep at night again IMO.

Sorry, I'm late to the party.
This will work, but there is a big caveat:
You will need to power down the adapter each time. Flipping the switch every time you swap machines will eventually damage something. All those wires have some inductance, and each time you cut current to the wire, there will be a voltage spike that will go somewhere (and nothing in the scales or the DRO is designed to deal with this).

If you are using a V2 adapter and are happy with it, the kit is basically the "lite" version of that adapter with newer firmware. It's $129 (+shipping, +VAT, etc.).

Regards
Yuriy

Sorry, I'm late to the party.
This will work, but there is a big caveat:
You will need to power down the adapter each time. Flipping the switch every time you swap machines will eventually damage something. All those wires have some inductance, and each time you cut current to the wire, there will be a voltage spike that will go somewhere (and nothing in the scales or the DRO is designed to deal with this).

If you are using a V2 adapter and are happy with it, the kit is basically the "lite" version of that adapter with newer firmware. It's $129 (+shipping, +VAT, etc.).

Regards
Yuriy
Thanks Yuriy,
I would never have considered that re the inductance. Out of interest.. where does that voltage go when you power down the adapter?
Powering down the adapter for a minute or so before switching machines will not be a problem.
I have it all set up now and it works fine.
I unsoldered the screen wire from the DB9 plug from the scales as the switches I used had continuity between their outer metal sheaths, otherwise the 'earths' on the two machines would have been connected. The switches themselves are fully switched on all nine terminals and the female to female gender changes are wired straight through pin to pin (1:1, 2:2 etc)
IMG_20240308_162538.jpg
IMG_20240309_160835.jpg
IMG_20240309_160929.jpg

Cheers
Alan

Back