Can you ID the lathe this cross-slide belongs to?

joe_m

Active User
Registered
I got this years ago in a box of parts at an estate sale. All the light colored stuff is pure southern AZ dust. I'm thinking of butchering it to make something - but thought I'd show it here first and see if anyone can ID the lathe it belongs to based on the size and the shape of the side profile. The only marking I can find is Armstrong on one of the cranks. The pic with the ruler is distorted - it's exactly 12" edge to edge. The part that sits over the ways is much shorter (you can see the V notch on the right). The feed direction of the screw is bass-ackwards. turning the crank clockwise brings it out and not in. That's why the previous owner wrote in/out with arrows on top. Some of the original nuts/bolts have been replaced with what looks like more modern socket screws. Any guesses?

crossslide1.jpg crossslide2.jpg

by the v in the bottom it looks like it clamps to the bed and it has an angle compound?
maybe an angle milling attachment of sorts but how would you change the depth of cut for the next pass
ok what are you going to make out of it lol
steve

i searched for armstrong lathe mill and shaper
I think it is the shaper tool holder head sets depth of cut and angle

steve

Thanks for the leads Steve. I'll try googling armstrong shaper and see if I can find a pic. The top part does turn, like a regular cross-slide, but in some funky unmeasurable way. Here's another pic with the top part turned all the way around The two bolts I thought were holding it on really aren't - it spins on a hidden post. If mounted on the lathe this way it could place the toolholder at the backside of the bed. It is also a rough welding job - it must have crashed pretty good once. I pulled them out because someone I know wants a couple short fat acme srews and I have this pile of metal in a shed. I might cannibalize it, send him the screw and see what I can do with the rest. I've also got this pile of rust sitting in the garage (see the other pic) no markings anywhere. At one time I had enough of the headstock to know if was driven by a leather belt but that's it. I want to turn it into a woodworking grinder with a couple dozen different profile grindstones on it and a workholder in the cross-slide so I can make a bunch of molding plane cutters. But at this point my dreams are bigger than my skill and experience so it's probably going to sit there for another 5 years.

Crossslide3.jpg crossslide4.jpg

Back