Canada Auctions - shipping to states

JackBrush

Registered
Registered
I've seen a good amount of posts complaining about shipping things from the US to Canada but not much the other way around.
There's a couple machine auctions up that are in Canada that have a mill I've been looking for. American made and apparently that does matter as they have some type of tipping service that the border wants to import things that apparently it wouldn't apply to it as that's for foreign makes.

Anyone deal with shipping a mill from Canada to the US before?

I am in Canada and I can’t see there being much difference shipping in either direction.You would need to have a broker. Some auctions will have companies to take care of brokers fees and taxes and duties. Shouldn’t be any duty either way,just tax.
Most Bidspotter auctions have a 19% buyer’s premium. Some auctions in Canada are in US funds so be aware of that if you are expecting to save 35% on Canadian funds. You would have to pay taxes here and then collect them back at the border. Some provinces have different tax rates. Mostly all around 13% like Ontario, Alberta is 5% I believe and New Brunswick is 15%
Riggers fees can range from a couple hundred dollars to thousands depending on rigging company’s. Always get a quote before the auction.
Lots of smokin deals at auctions sometimes though.
Just my 3 cents
Martin

I wanted to add. If you were bidding online, but picking up in person. You can easily do the border stuff yourself. As long as you have the bill of sale it is easy at the border. Check with Customs on your end, they might want 48-72 hours' notice if you are bringing a commercial item over.
Martin

Last edited:
Back