Can't Figure Out the Carbide Insert Code for this holder.

joe_m

Active User
Registered
Digging through the boxes I found a toolholder - Wendt-Sonis - with a patent that works out to 1958. It takes a square insert with no hole. On the side of the holder it says Insert SOP-122.

So I went to one of the websites that breaks that down for me and I'm stumped.
Long explanation leading to the question:
The S is for Square - that much is true.
Then there is a 0. But according to the chart, the next designation after the S should be for clearance angle and there is no zero or O listed. The insert already on there definitely has an angle - I guestimated about a 10. According to the chart a P is 11. That seems to fit with mine. So now I'm up to:

S - Square
0 - ??????
P - 11 degree clearance angle.

Then I move on to the numbers 122.
The chart says that after the P I should have another letter to designate tolerances. But mine was made back in the 1950's when we still cared and made everything to standard. So no need for that letter.
Then hole or chipbreaker. My inserts are hole-less so that's a null.
Now I've still got to find 122 and the next thing on the list is size - but there isn't a one on the list. There is a 1.2 and it says that the inscribed circle size is .15625. My square is about .31 to a side, so that would be pretty close. Do I assume then that my 122 means size 1.2? If so then that just leaves me a 2.
Next up on the chart is thickness and it says a 2 is .125 (1/8). Without taking it off, best I can measure the insert is a smidgen over .1 - maybe .11 but definitely not .125.
After that the chart just gets confusing - radius I understand although my inserts seems to have pretty pointed corners with no radius, but then there is wiper angles and stuff, none of which really seems to fit with SOP-122.

If I'm just measuring the thickness wrong then what I have is:
S - square
O - funky little 1958 designation, means nothing now so I ignore it.
P - 11 degree clearance angle
12 - size of inscribed circle .15625
2 - thickness of 1/8

And finally the question: Am I correct in my deduction, or close enough to go buying inserts?
And since you've read ths far, another question: Could I put HSS inserts on here instead of carbide?

thanks
Joe

You could try buying one, and seeing if it fits. I've never seen a square insert for a turning holder, usually you want a tip angle less than 90degrees.

It's possible this was produced before the standardization of inserts, and what it takes is some proprietary thing, in which case, you are probably SOL.

The 122 may stand for the following: 12= Shank size in 1/16"= 3/4". The 2 would indicate the insert size= 1/4" IC insert.

The letters you have that pretty much figured out.

You may have to modify, I got cutter that I had to enlarge retaining screw hole.

Back