Capacitor recommendation

jwmay

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Unfortunately, after the best threads I've ever cut, the start capacitor gave out on my Grizzly G4002. The manual states it has a 150 MFD 250 VAC start capacitor. I don't feel like I've used the machine enough for it to have failed already. For that reason, I'm asking for recommendations here. I don't actually think anyone goes through enough capacitors to have deep knowledge on the subject. But what the heck! I don't know what I don't know. What say you, gurus of all things electrical? Is there a higher quality option available?

The capacitor quality coming out of Aisa leaves something to be desired. If you replace it with something from McMaster or Granger you will be ahead of the game. It wouldn't hurt to go to a 330VAC if it will physically fit. I would replace the run capacitor also if your motor has one.

Capacitors in particular electrolytic are unpredictable as to failure. Electrolytic do worse when sitting for a long time and then applying full voltage due to chemical changes that occur with lack of use. Sometimes older electrolytic can be reformed or conditioned by slowly applying power in stepped increments. The other factor that causes rapid deterioration/failure of electrolytic capacitors is quick on/off cycling which quickly overheats the capacitor or a sticking start switch. Electrolytic capacitors are used in motor start applications due to their higher charge density for the size, as opposed to other types of capacitors which would be much bigger for the same uF/V rating.

As far as replacement, I have helped a few people with G4003 replace the start capacitor, the ones I have seen required cutting the wires to remove the capacitor. One issue is finding a better quality one that will fit in the space, the asian ones always seem to be smaller for the same uF/V size. You can check online at various electronic/motor suppliers, I often check those for pool pumps or for AC systems, as they must take more extreme temperatures (pool pump ones tend to be smaller). I think you will have an issue size wise going to a higher voltage, but check around. Also get one which has a higher temperature rating, so something like 105C instead of 85C, it will be more likely to handle the heat generated from cycling on/off. Most of these motor type electrolytic's that are decent seem to come from Mexico these days.

Yes. I agree with what mksj and JimDawson suggested above. I would also replace the motor run capacitor too just because it is cheap and easy while you are in there. But, it is less likely that the motor run capacitor will fail if it is of the film type vs. the electrolytic type. Increasing the voltage and/or temperature ratings of the capacitors raises the part reliability by a pretty large factor, all other things being equal.

If the start capacitor gave out the problem could be centrifugal switch. I had a Chinese lathe that killed 3 start capacitors and here in Aus at $80 each. In my case the start switch was sticking intermittently.

I removed the start capacitor and ran the lathe without it until I sold the lathe. The only thing is the motor will start slower and take more time to come up to speed, not an issue for me in a home shop.

Agree with Jim, a USA made cap would typically go for years if not decades, the Asia ones sometimes fail very early- they probably use the cheapest possible ones just to get the unit out the door
Mark

Last edited:
I bought Dayton brand caps from Grainger when the start cap popped on my mill. The Dayton ones are made in China. I needed them the same day so I went with them, I replaced both start & run. Figured I'd just buy some better ones later but so far they have lasted 5 times longer than the original one.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I’ve got one coming Monday.

Back