CARBIDE FACE MILL

epanzella

Active User
Registered
While thinking about building a fly cutter that would take indexable toolholders I remembered that fly cutters use left hand tools. I have a lot of 5/8 right hand indexable tooling already. Is there a downside to building a fly cutter that cuts in reverse with right hand tooling?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that some machines don't have the same spindle speed in reverse so that may be a limiting factor?

I heard they use these in the southern hemisphere . ;) Other than that , why not ? Reverse your feed direction so those hot chips go torwards the column . :encourage:

LH or RH rotation does not matter to the mill - think about a boring head, you can cut an ID or an OD, you have whatever for tooling - so you run your spindle in the rotation direction that causes the tool to cut.

You just have to remember which way to flip the switch. I have some LH cut endmills. I have to be careful, muscle memory is quite persistent.

Just make sure the cutting tool is on the centerline of the fly cutter and you’ll be good. Cutting tool is backed by the body of the tool to take the forces not the screws.

Back