Cat's Head for Shortening Rifle Barrels

From your OP I was assuming that you are doing this often. That $200 in tools would have a pretty short ROI vs the time and material to keep making and setting up all the hardware to do it on the lathe.

I did buy that tooling 25 years ago back when it was $50 and before I got my lathe, but is is still my #1 choice for crowning jobs.
I'm not in business as a gunsmith. I do jobs for family, friends, guys in the gun club, and my own guns. There were multiple capabilities that I didn't have but that I wanted. I could get 25% of those capabilities for $200 or 100% of those capabilities for 10 bucks. The decision wasn't too hard.

Why would anybody who owns a lathe buy a crowning tool? Load RH facing tool, adjust compound to 11 degrees, deburr... done.

Why would anybody who owns a lathe buy a crowning tool? Load RH facing tool, adjust compound to 11 degrees, deburr... done.
Actually my crowning tools were purchased years before finally buying a lathe. These crown cutting tools from Brownells are hand tools but are a real timesaver when used on a lathe.

Back