centering tailstock

The tailstock on my 13" gets off set regularly for turning barrels, so I made a positive stop for returning it to zero. If I keep things clean, it will return to +-.0005".
tsstop.jpg

If you offset the tailstock on a regular basis I would suggest investing in a test bar. I was offsetting the tailstock on my Sheldon several times a week. It got to be a pain to realign it every other day so I invested in a test bar like this:

http://www.penntoolco.com/edge-tailstock-alignment-bar/

If it's a one time adjustment I would also turn between centers. Make sure you true the center in the headstock before taking any cuts on your stock

Test bars are a good idea and I have one I use. I made mine. I have a bar ~1-1/4" in diameter about 14" long that I turned down the two ends between centers to the same size while aligning my tail stock a while ago. Now, I don't turn it anymore, just use it as you describe with an indicator. Gets me very close. My lathe has a lot of wear and I have to tweak things in while turning anyways or turn close and polish to size when it's critical.

Ted

Back