Central Machine Mini Lathe

teamcow550

Registered
Registered
A friend gave me a Central Machine Mini Lathe, model 1679, 1/2 hp. The rack is worn out and I'd like to find a replacement. Anyone out there have available? Thanks......Tony

Attachments

• 20220104_125345.jpg
    20220104_125345.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220104_125402.jpg
    20220104_125402.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 32
A friend gave me a Central Machine Mini Lathe, model 1679, 1/2 hp. The rack is worn out and I'd like to find a replacement. Anyone out there have available? Thanks......Tony
Thanks for your input. I may try that if I can't find a replacement part.

You could try Little Machine Shop they carry many parts for the mini lathes and mini mills. Their shipping isn't that cheap, but they do handle the parts. You could try Harbor Freight for the part, but many have said they aren't too good for getting parts there.

I have a very early 7x10 that was probably hand hewn with a cape chisel, serial number 184 early! I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed working on that lathe, not making parts but making it work! It will be the last machine tool I ever sell, enjoy the journey.

If the rack is very worn you probably want to take a look at the pinion gear to see what shape it's in. The wear on a rack should be a lot more spread out compared to the gear.

If LMS doesn't have what you need in stock, check to see if Grizzly has it/them.

As a general source, at it's core it is a Sieg SC2 lathe.

You could also consider getting a new bed from Little Machine shop, which includes the rack. They are available in 14 and 16 inch lengths.
This way you get a Length upgrade thrown in on the deal.

It is item number 5000, you can search that number on the LMS website. It is about 240 bucks for the fully equipped 16 inch bed kit.

Last edited:
A bit of searching on-line vendor sites such as Amazon and Alibaba will reveal lots of straight toothed gear rack possibilities.

You could try Little Machine Shop they carry many parts for the mini lathes and mini mills. Their shipping isn't that cheap, but they do handle the parts. You could try Harbor Freight for the part, but many have said they aren't too good for getting parts there.
Yes, I contacted them and that's one item they don't have.

If you can't find the exact part. McMaster Carr sells gear racks and pinions. You might be able to something that works there.

Back