Central Machinery 12x36 lathe T33274 Normal power light operation?

phranticness

Registered
Registered
Does anyone own this lathe? Central Machinery 12x36 lathe T33274

I recently bought one and just now got it powered on at home.

When the lathe is plugged in to power the yellow power light is always illuminated and I hear a small hum from the electrical box.

All the controls work like they should, I hear all the contactors working, but I would have expected the power light to go out when the red reset button is depressed. I found one other post on the topic and it sounded like that fella had the same question as me but they never followed up to the thread. I have a feeling it's normal operation, but I'd love to confirm it.

Attachments

• IMG_8081.JPG
    IMG_8081.JPG
    410.8 KB · Views: 125
I have the 13x40 version but a different brand. They look identical because they all came from the same factory. Yes my power light stays on also. I have the lathe on its own breaker so I can kill the power at the box when the lathe will be idle.

I have the 13x40 version but a different brand. They look identical because they all came from the same factory. Yes my power light stays on also. I have the lathe on its own breaker so I can kill the power at the box when the lathe will be idle.
Thanks for the quick response.

Does yours hum as well? I imagine the hum is the transformer making low voltage for the light.

It my hum, but with the shop radio going I have not heard it. :eagerness:

I would expect the hum would be from a transformer for the machine's control circuits, it is normal for a lot of machines to have controls and contactors operating at voltages lower than input voltage.

There would be a small hum from the transformer, then a louder contactor hum when the motor is running- but probably you won't hear that
over the machine noise

I ended up installing a switch. I'd prefer to have it off when it's off.

Attachments

• IMG_8089.JPG
    IMG_8089.JPG
    435.5 KB · Views: 57
Back