Change gear help

FTlatheworks

Registered
Registered
I have a pm1236. I have changed gears to cut different threads. One thing I don’t understand, why does the change gear diagram on the manual show the feed gear engaged to the smaller gear? There is a spacer that only lines it up with the gear on the rear. Can someone explain why the manual says 120+127 and whether or not I can connect the feed gear to the gear closest to me, or should it only be meshed with the rear gear?

The manual looks to me like it should be meshed with the gear closest to me, but the spacer doesn’t allow for that properly. I put a picture of where the gear sits with the spacer behind it, instead of in front of it. Yes I’m aware I need to adjust the nut behind to mesh the gears. I was just playing around with the different settings and wondering why the manual shows a picture of the feed gear attached to the gear closest to me, but the actual picture shows something different. I would imagine that the feed gear meshed to 120 teeth, rather than 127 would allow the feed to go slower while allowing me to cut a different set of threads. Hopefully someone understand the change gears better than I do.

Attachments

• IMG_9424.jpeg
    IMG_9424.jpeg
    236.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9425.png
    IMG_9425.png
    803.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
It looks like there may be a spacer issue- the 127/120 tooth gears are used to cut metric threads
When not cutting metric I believe only one of those gears is used as a transfer gear
I think there is a pictorial mistake in the manual as well for the imperial threads- someone double check me on that

Last edited:
Just looked at the manual and there definitely is something weird since the same gear combination is shown for both imperial and metric. Can't be right. Someone smokin' too much wacky tobacky
I think for imperial the 120 tooth is not used and the 127 is used to couple the upper and lower gears together (spacer on lower gear
on outside, putting gear on inside)

Last edited:
Just looked at the manual and there definitely is something weird since the same gear combination is shown for both imperial and metric. Can't be right. Someone smokin' too much wacky tobacky
I think for imperial the 120 tooth is not used and the 127 is used to couple the upper and lower gears together (spacer on lower gear
on outside, putting gear on inside)
That’s how I always use it, but wanted to confirm because when I want a thread <=16 tpi I have to switch to the 48 tooth on top. That makes my feed way to fast and I was wondering if I could run my feed gear on the 120 tooth to slow it down then just move the spacer when I want to cut threads.

Yes you could do that, I don't see why not
The feed speed will only be a little slower however going from 127 to 120- not a big change

Last edited:
Back