Checkering bolt knobs

Les B

Active User
Registered
I have written up another pdf file on how I checker bolt knobs with tool I have made over the years. I will try to load this file in the DOWNLOADS section so all can view. This will show more info on how you can make the tools and gravers. I use a Ngraver shaft driven hand tool, but with a little practise you can use just a hammer and graver. I made my rotating vise out of 2 1/4 square steel with steel bearings in the base of 2 in. square tubing.

IMG_1181.JPGP1020560.JPGIMG_1176.JPGIMG_1178.JPG

IMG_1181.JPG P1020560.JPG IMG_1176.JPG IMG_1178.JPG

I was able to post to the DOWNLOADS section and if you want to see more go to the Plans and Drawings down the list. I was about to give up on posting, but I think we have solved the problem. Thanks to Tony and Nelson

Les Brooks

The Downloads are at the top of the heading to the right side. You may need to be a member a little longer before you can get into the files.

I dont work on bolt action rifles..But I have often thought that a man with the capability to do work with hand engraving tools should be able to replicate the checkered pattern on the hammer of a gun..I build from barstock,making every piece of a gun. Thats my hobby but thus far I do a very poor job on the checkered portion of hammers. Lot of guns had checkering in a bordered panel which is impossible to recreate with a checkering file...Bet you could do it beautifully.

If you build the sharpener tool the engraving process becomes very easy to learn. Practise cutting and you will learn how to hold the graver to cut straight lines first and then curves. A rotating plate can be made so you can move the parts around as you cut curves. Raise the rear handle of the tool so it will start cutting into the steel and then lower to control its depth. If the line your are cutting will not stay straight you probably have the graver off center with the heel not in line with the graver body. I had tried to learn engraving in the '80's without spending half a fortune for tools. The sharpener was the best move that I made. Next was finding the tool steel needed to make gravers. I used old broken #31 carbide drills to start with and then found some M-42 cobalt drills which you can use the whole body to make gravers. Finally I broke down and bought some graver blanks from Brownells. I had a guy stop by my shop yrs ago and he said he couldn't find anyone to checker the front of the S & W 44 mag trigger guard. I told him that I could do that without a problem. I told him to come back in a couple of hrs and it would be ready. He didn't believe that I could cut where he wanted the checkering. That is in a place which can't be finished with a checkering file. No problem for an engraver to cut!!!! He lived about 80 miles away and was on his way to go fishing and saw my shop. He paid me more than I told him and made a customer from then on. I use the checkering files when I can to act as a spacing tool for the lines. If you can't use the files you need to learn how to transfer lines from a line pattern tool. I will have to take pictures of this tool and explain how to use them. I made the tool on a mill with a carbide point being forced into the metal. You have to determine the lines you will want to make. My tool is about 2 inches square and has lines of different spacings. A rotating drill press vise is a good engravers tool if you build the base to hold the vise. Picture of the tools A two inch square tubing with a couple of boat trailer bearings is all that you need to find. Force the race of the bearing into the 2 in. tube on each end. I show details of this tool on some of my files

PB050678.JPGChannel base.jpgFlat rotating head engravers tool.jpgPB050661.JPG

PB050678.JPG Channel base.jpg Flat rotating head engravers tool.jpg PB050661.JPG

I have a Highwall I am carving the wood for right now and then will be finishing the metal next week or so. It still needs its hammer checkered..Okay I'll try it your way LesB . I presume that by engraving I can achieve rather well formed diamonds that will afford a good grip under the thumb...Reckon I'll grind a drill rod blank with my surface grinder to make a graver of sorts. What does the cutting end s'posed to look like ? Triangular huh? What are the angles?

I have a vice on a steel ball that I use for tig welding itty bitty pieces that are otherwise difficult to clamp in the best position for welding. I set the ball end down into a short length of round pipe and the arrangement allows a good range of motion. It would serve the purpose for what engraving I would want to do.

The best site to view the angles on gravers is here: www.igraver.com I mention this in my article on making the sharpener in the Downloads. I could write for an hour trying to explain the angles, but a few minutes on Sam's site will show everything you need.

Les

Back