Chinese Gear Cutters

CannonFodder

Active User
Registered
Hi Everyone,
I see a lot of gear cutters on eBay that advertise "bore 22". I assume that is millimeters. Do those mount properly/adequately on a 7/8th inch holder?

Thanks,

CannonFodder (Robert)

Okay, thanks. There is almost nothing on eBay with imperial bores!
Looks like I'll be making the arbor also.

Thanks

Hi, I have also been looking at the import gear cutters on ebay. It seems that the cutter number etched on the cutter doesn't match the tooth count also on the cutter on the ones I'm looking at. I don't know if I should buy the one showing the right cutter number or the right tooth count. Jamie

Hi, I have also been looking at the import gear cutters on ebay. It seems that the cutter number etched on the cutter doesn't match the tooth count also on the cutter on the ones I'm looking at. I don't know if I should buy the one showing the right cutter number or the right tooth count. Jamie
Send a message to the seller and ask how to make sure you are getting what you want. Another issue, at least with some Chinese gear cutters, is that they seem to be numbered backwards from what you will find in Machinery's Handbook. Make really sure you are getting what you want. I have seen decent reviews for the Chinese cutters, they just do things a bit differently.

This topic has been getting some good attention of late. You may be able to do a search here and find some recent threads, like the one below.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...olute-gear-cutters-on-ebay.39415/#post-338148

Having to sort out the hole size miss-match is pretty common. Certainly you can purchase tooling that all fits, but simply buying solutions is not what most folks here turn to first. You can make/modify an arbor, you can sleeve an arbor (which is what I did), you can make your own cutter (so then it fits with whatever other tooling you have) - at the end of the day the resulting gear will never know the difference.

There is more than one way to get it done. Let us know what you work out?

Back