Chip control ideas for the mill

When I use my annular cutters on aluminum plate I end up with a massive inverted shower head of chips coming out. I am looking at something like a clear plastic cake transport cover like you might get at Walmart with a cake. I just need to have a place to get WD40 sprayed into the cut area. Stay tuned

Reactions: Z2V
I get chips everywhere when I'm using the mill. I have a precision matthews benchtop mill. I was thinking of making 4 plexiglass safety screens and somehow mount them to magnetic bases that I can move around on the bed of the mill. They'll at least control the chips to where most of them would fall on the bed, instead of the floor or my work bench. Any ideas?

I use a broom and dustpan as <after the fact> chip control.

When I use my annular cutters on aluminum plate I end up with a massive inverted shower head of chips coming out. I am looking at something like a clear plastic cake transport cover like you might get at Walmart with a cake. I just need to have a place to get WD40 sprayed into the cut area. Stay tuned
I'm pretty sure the WD40 will ruin the cake. Not sure I would eat any.
R

I have several scraps of alumnium sheet, of various sizes, athat have about a 1" flange bent on 1 side. I pick some about the right size, and use some welding magnets to hold them in place. With the flange to the outside, and the magnet up ahgainst the edge, its fun watching the chips stick to the aluminum.

I use a couple different systems depending on the projects at hand

When using coolant I try to control the spray coming off the work mostly to keep the area drier then if I just let if fly everywhere. So I have a set of 90 degree lexan shields on some harbor freight switchable magnets that I can surround the work with and keep the mess on the table.

One handy piece I built is almost too simple. A small 10 inch square piece of lexan that I can put between myself and the work that keeps the hot chips out of my collar.

Back