Chuck bolts or chuck studs and nuts

That's a fantastic and very practical looking cradle!!!
PS - Hope the durn fires stay well away from you.
Thanks hman, I'll be making a cradle for the 4 jaw about on the same lines. After that I'll make one for the 5c collet chuck, have to make a backplate first. So far the nearest the fires have been about 30 miles. They are talking about rain soon. Hope so.

The only problem with the cradle has been the strap. It works, but can't get it as tight as I like. Found some flat bungy cord that I can buy by the foot. I'll see if that will help after its been attached.

Trying to focus on your cradle, (eyes are killing me today) which looks like a super idea. Just how did you go about it? Is there a write up on it somewhere ?

The only problem with the cradle has been the strap. It works, but can't get it as tight as I like.

I don't even buy the cam-lock type anymore.
The ratcheting ones are so much better.

-brino

EDIT: is that cam lock pointing the right way? I don't have any to look at......

Last edited:
Trying to focus on your cradle, (eyes are killing me today) which looks like a super idea. Just how did you go about it? Is there a write up on it somewhere ?
This is what I figured out so there is no write up on it. Since there seems to be an interest in this I'll come up with a write and may be some type of plans. Just remember that each lathe and chuck is different so any dimensions you will have to adjust. Writing something up like this is not something that I've done much of but I'll do my best
I don't even buy the cam-lock type anymore.
The ratcheting ones are so much better.

-brino

EDIT: is that cam lock pointing the right way? I don't have any to look at......
Yes, the cam lock is the right way. I know, I tried it both ways. The reason that I did not use the ratchet style is that they take a lot of room and don't have a quick release. Still working on it, at least it's better than nothing. Open for any ideas.

I need to make chuck cradle for my 4 jaw and then for the 5c. The best way is to take pictures with some explanation as I go along. This I believe would be the quickest and best way of getting this across. I thought of putting this under a separate thread under the title "make a chuck cradle". Would that be okay? Thanks for all the input.

Yes, the cam lock is the right way. I know, I tried it both ways. The reason that I did not use the ratchet style is that they take a lot of room and don't have a quick release. Still working on it, at least it's better than nothing. Open for any ideas.

How about a strap and buckle like this:
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/sho...kle-strap-for-wall-mount-storage?item=99K8651

or for more heavy duty:
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/sho...00909-Imp-Lee-Valley-Fast-Straps&item=99W8704

...just a couple examples I saw recently......

-brino

Back