CHUCK fitting issue

i bought a 1 1/2 8 plate for my lathe but it is very loose..i am wondering if i received a 39mm -4...

would they both screw on or would one not fit the other at all?

I doubt that a 39mm 4mm (1.535" x .1575") would fit a 8tpi (1.5" x .125") mating thread and if it did, I doubt it would be loose. If they mated up at all, that difference in pitch would tighten things up pretty quick and would probably make the face-plate mount askew.

P.S., type the word askew into Google and see what happens.

I doubt that a 39mm 4mm (1.535" x .1575") would fit a 8tpi (1.5" x .125") mating thread and if it did, I doubt it would be loose. If they mated up at all, that difference in pitch would tighten things up pretty quick and would probably make the face-plate mount askew.

P.S., type the word askew into Google and see what happens.

thats more or less what I was thinking...I was just trying to give them the benefit of the doubt...so basically this shars adapter sucks

I had some bad luck with a Shars backplate recently- big void in the casting- machining it nearly fused the darn thing to my spindle because I had to "load" the spindle with a rag in my hand to keep my backgears from banging.

Besides that, I've had good luck with Shars.

Bernie

Last edited:
i have one on the way from another vendor, we'll see

All of my chucks on both of my lathe's screw on tight to the thread and still connect with the shoulder just fine. Ray

The lathe came with a plate that i couldn't find a matching chuck for.. unfortunately i cut it dow to make a tool..but it did fit fine.:angry:

GOT IT NOW...the first one was junk:angry:

photo-62.JPG

photo-62.JPG

Back