Chuck mounting on a Clausing Drill press?

NC Rick

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I am interested to know some about what the typical mounting is used for a Clausing DP. The ones i have seen seem to have an extended spindle with a 3mt? Is there any external key for the chuck drive On the spindle nose?

I have a Clausing 15 with the extended spindle. I believe it has and MT2 taper in the spindle. There is a slot in the spindle for a wedge (key) to release the MT taper. The chuck key itself would depend on the chuck which is installed. I will try to find some pics.
Robert

Here is a pic where you can see the slot in the spindle. Note I have swapped out the Jacobs chuck for a Southbend in this pic:
1617200532949.png

Last edited:
I have some drill chucks which use a #3 JT (no arbor) but they also have a slot on the backside to accept a male “key” on a spindle for additional anti spin in addition to the MT tang which i am accustomed to. Id like to know what type of DP uses this. It may be specific to bigger radial DP? Id like to strategically place them with someone who could benifit. I think they would work fine on a standard arbor and drill press yet i feel this must be a common arrangement which i am unfamiliar with.

Back