Chuck Mounting To A Rotary Table

kingmt01

Registered
Registered
I'd like to mount my chuck to the T slots but I haven't figured out a easy way to do it.

How do you mount yours?

The ones I've noticed are mounted on a 1/2 to 3/4" plate, which is mounted on the RT. Usually the chuck is small enough that T slots can be used to secure the plate.

The 6" chuck I have has a plain back, but also has 4 holes for mounting. I used 4 socket head screws to homemade T nuts in the slots. No riser or backing plate required http://www.accusizetools.com/4-jaw-independent-lathe-chucks-plain-back/
You can drill/counterbore most 4 jaw chucks and some 3 jaws to fit your tee slots.Or you can stick weld it on :disgust:. NOT reccomended although I really have seen this method utilised in a mechanics shop, Never took MY car to him.
John.

I'll have to look closer at my chucks. I bought a 6" for my 7"x10" & the backing plate is held on by 4 bolts. I'll have to look under the jaws to see if there is through holes or what it'd take to make some there. I really don't want to drill all the way through the head tho.

I was thinking some kind of cam lock in the T slot but haven't can up with a design yet.

I just bought a rotary table and have been pondering the same thing. Kinda think I'm gona use some sort of moorse taper to fit the table I figure that would hold as well as bolting for light cuts or even add a stud to ride in the t slot . Guess will find out sometime . Anybody else try anything like this??

You would normally use a front mounting plain back chuck, or you could turn a groove on the od of the chuck to clamp it

I wish I knew links, but this topic is covered including nice pics of nice designs here, just search a few different ways and I know you will find the treasure trove.

Back