Cinder block lathe bench

I decided I needed to just commit to something so I ordered and paid for the 5/8" steel plate. Here is a rough CAD drawing of how I plan to mount it. The rest of the materials should add up to well under $50, so I don't think I am going to blow my budget.

lathe bench .png

I decided to go with the solid cap blocks as AI 1 suggested, and to make life easier I decided to use the 16x8x8 blocks instead of the 16x10x8 blocks because 16x12x4 solid cap blocks are hard to find. I still think I am going to use PU adhesive instead of mortar, and I am just going to fill the pillars with sand to make my life even easier.

RE wood shrinkage: Finding exact numbers for plywood shrinkage is kind of difficult. Most of the woodworking sources imply that it it does not move at all, which for practical woodworking purposes might be true, but not for ours. Here are some numbers for solid white oak lumber. Between the green state (~28% moisture content) and the oven dry state (~8% moisture content), white oak shrinks about 0.2% lengthwise, about 5% width-wise is the tangential grain orientation, and about 10% width-wise in the radial grain orientation. This shrinkage occurs roughly linearly with moisture content, and seasonal change in moisture content of indoor furniture is in the 5%-10% range. Therefore, for solid timber you are looking at a several percent change in width over the season and maybe a 0.1% change in length. Plywood averages these changes due to its cross plies. As a low end number, lets say that a sheet of plywood will move 0.1% over the course of a season. In that case, you are looking at about a thou of movement per linear inch over the course of a season. The distance between the mounting holes for the feet of my lathe is ~37", so using those numbers a solid plywood top would give me about 37 thou of movement over the seasons. Obviously cast iron is much stiffer than wood and the lathe bed will resist that movement, but I really like the idea of having something like a steel top so that once I have everything in alignment it will pretty much stay that way unless I do something to tweak it.

Superburban - In retrospect, do you think you would prefer having the chip pan lower or right under the lathe bed? I have though about putting risers under the feet as well. Either way, I think I am going to use a cookie sheet or something as a removable chip pan that sits on the steel bench top.

Notgoingback - Thanks for the 43" reference point. This setup would put the feet at around 37" high, so I was worried it might be too tall, but that makes me feel better about it.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and all the suggestions! It is really helping me think this project through.

(edited to remove a random quote of myself that ended up in there somehow.)

@Svdharma, I'm glad you stuck to your guns with using blocks. Blocks are architectural hardware, they're not going to compress or warp.

The only things I have for your design posted above is to make some bracing in an "X" on the back side of the bench. Your design is a parallelogram, and it needs some triangles to limit movement and force perpendicularity into the assembly. The other thing is to add a sill in front of your steel plate (this should be made of polished, figured maple or cocobolo burl) to give you space to put things like oil cans and brushes, chuck keys, measuring tools, beverage cans, and the like.
images

@Svdharma, I'm glad you stuck to your guns with using blocks. Blocks are architectural hardware, they're not going to compress or warp.

The only things I have for your design posted above is to make some bracing in an "X" on the back side of the bench. Your design is a parallelogram, and it needs some triangles to limit movement and force perpendicularity into the assembly. The other thing is to add a sill in front of your steel plate (this should be made of polished, figured maple or cocobolo burl) to give you space to put things like oil cans and brushes, chuck keys, measuring tools, beverage cans, and the like.
images

images
Whoa, where are we putting this gorgeous burl? :drool:

This is a great topic, and lots of good thoughts. My 2 cents-

I like the idea of concrete/cinder blocks. Dimensionally stable, easy to take apart. The glue instead of mortar idea is a good one too.
The more mass you have attached to the machine, the more it will resist all the wiggles it will be exposed to.
Will it make a measurable difference? I do not know. I DO know that when I bolted the stand for my 1236 Atlas/Craftsman to the concrete floor, it changed the personality of the lathe at a fundamental level. Four 'redheads', and 15 minutes with a hammer drill.

When I got the Grizzly 4003 clone (Birmingham 1236), the very first thing I did was bolt it to the floor. (okay, second. The FIRST thing I did was take the twist out of the ways. Kinda both at the same time, actually.:confused 3:)

Columns are built!

Lath Bench.jpg

These columns are 16" deep by 12" wide by ~35.5" tall and held together by construction adhesive. There'll be a 12" x 48" x 5/8" thick steel plate mortared level on the top with mounting studs for the lathe feet and counter-shaft bracket.

When I was at Home Depot picking up supplies I saw the 12-inch wide blocks next too the 8 inch wide blocks and couldn't resist using the bigger ones. I was a bit worried about using 8" wide blocks because I could see the whole bench potentially swaying left a right a bit under heavy pressure. With the 12" wide blocks, the columns feel completely immovable no matter how hard I push them. The quality of the blocks is abysmal compared to the random block that I already had in my basement. Large chips and the very rough surfaces on the top and bottom. Therefore, it took a TON of glue. I used two normal sized tubes of Loctite PL500 landscape block adhesive, had to go back to get one of the jumbo sized tubes (3x the size of a normal tube, needs a special caulk gun but you can just shove a piece of wood into the end), and I'll need to get one more normal tube.

My plans for the next steps, which I'll do early next week when all my supplies arrive, will be to install the plate steel top. I'll epoxy mounting bolts into the cap blocks. Two more cap blocks will get installed which will cover the openings at the tops. The steel plate will get mortared down level, everything will be painted grey, and then I can install the lathe. At some point shelves or drawers will likely appear under the lathe, and I might install a under-drive in the hollow cores of the blocks someday. At least that is the plan for now. Anyone got any input?

I think that will support your Logan just fine... and maybe withstand a nuclear blast on top of that.

I think that will support your Logan just fine... and maybe withstand a nuclear blast on top of that.

Hehe, this part was so cheap and quick that I think I am going to use something similar out of 8" x 8" x 8" blocks for all my work bench legs, grinder pedestals, etc. in the future.

Cover the webs in the blocks so as to not drop thing down there. Al...

Back