Ck12 quick change gearbox removal?

jwillis44

Registered
Registered
I’m needing to fix the A B C lever that slides the dog in the QC gearbox. Anyone got an overview of getting it off? I assume I need to pull the rods, and then just find the fasteners but if you have any specifics, I’d appreciate the head start.
Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've pulled mine a bit back, don't remember all the details. You can look through my thread for some ideas.

As I recall (vaguely) You have to start by removing the bracket on the right side of the bed that holds all the rods/leadscrew. You don't need to pull the rods out through the apron but you do need to be able to move them. The clutch rod (bottom, square) is held on by a taper pin through the clutch lever at the qcgb. The leadscrew comes free fairly easily with the four cap bolts around it's bearing assembly. I believe the feed rod will move over with the plate on that side of the apron once it is unbolted.

You need to remove the top plate and apron side plate on the qcgb.
The challenge is the topmost rod, (forward/reverse for the feed/leadscrew). You need to get in through the top of the QCGB and remove the mechanism associated with that. As I recall that is a bit complicated, there is as worm pinned to the shaft that rides against the pin through the casting. If you clean the worm carefully I believe there is a set screw holding it to the shaft (??).

I'm attaching a bunch of pictures in hopes that it gives you some ideas. Sorry I don't have a better recollection. If you have to actually break the interior of the QCGB down, that's where it gets messy. Take LOTS of pictures as you go ...

IMG_3014.JPGIMG_3015.JPG

IMG_3020.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3139.JPG
    IMG_3139.JPG
    454.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3124.JPG
    IMG_3124.JPG
    482.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3023.JPG
    IMG_3023.JPG
    274.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3022.JPG
    IMG_3022.JPG
    241.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3021.JPG
    IMG_3021.JPG
    321.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3019.JPG
    IMG_3019.JPG
    293.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3150.JPG
    IMG_3150.JPG
    502.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
P.S. Keith Fenner on Youtube is recently doing a video series on rebuilding a CK12 (?). Look for the videos on Pearl's Box.

This reminds me of when I removed mine on my series 61 I do know on mine there were two bolts that you could not see up against the bed it may be different of that style box but Monarch was famous for for things like that and look out for all the tapered pins holding things together also

This reminds me of when I removed mine on my series 61 I do know on mine there were two bolts that you could not see up against the bed it may be different of that style box but Monarch was famous for for things like that and look out for all the tapered pins holding things together also
The CK fortunately does not suffer from hidden bolts as the QCGB does not recess into the bed/under the headstock like many others. The 10EE, 61's and 612's do.
IMG_3171c.jpg

Thanks rabler, very helpful, you have much less paint then I do.

On the top of the qcgb, is that just a plate that comes off?

Thanks rabler, very helpful, you have much less paint then I do.

On the top of the qcgb, is that just a plate that comes off?

As I recall, you need to remove the cap screws through the top of the plate, and then the plate slides forward on that shaft going into the headstock somewhat before lifting off.

Back