Clausing 4912 Lathe

mtnlvr

Active User
Registered
Hi everyone, this is my first post & I have a question about a Clausing lathe I bought 2 weeks ago. It's a model 4912 (10x36) and uses a dual v belt
drive instead of the cogged belt. All the pictures I have seen show the cogged belt, but the patina on the pullys looks like it's original. I'm wondering
if maybe it's an early model before the factory switched to the cogged belts. Has anyone seen this before on a 4900 series before? Thanks for any help.

Great pictures of your lathe KennyD. It really looks nice. I have emailed Clausing with the ser. number but haven't gotten a reply yet and I haven't
had time to call when they are open. Mine also does not have the tray on the headstock, just a flat surface. There also isn't a vent on the front of the
motor housing. Mine only has 2 vents, one on the door and one on the right side. Where yours has 3 vents for the motor. I have seen lathes configured
this way though.

KennyD, great job on a nice machine. I'll have to put a Clausing on my Want list now.

I too did some extensive research before getting my 4902, and everything suggest (including user manual and parts list) that it was always cogged belt so you might have some after party mod on your lathe (most likely). Like Kenny suggested, a call to clausing with your serial number would quickly resolve any disputes.

Welcome to H-M and to the Clausing user group!

Just noticed your reply RE vents differences - do you have any pics of your lathe by any chance?

here is mine with the cleanup process blogged:

https://sites.google.com/site/metworx/clausing-4902

I finally got a chance to call Clausing and get some info on my lathe. The lathe was first sold on Aug. 1963 and the early ones did come
with dual V Belt drives instead of the newer cogged belt. I believe he said they changed to the cogged belt around ser#401499.
Here are some pictures of mine showing the belt drive, no tool tray on the headstock, and no front vents.
clausing lathe 007.JPGclausing lathe 008.JPG

clausing lathe 007.JPG clausing lathe 008.JPG

Very interesting.thanks for the post.that's one good looking lathe!

Yes, very interesting indeed-thanks for the update. ;)

Mine was made in 1969, just like me :lmao:

Back