Clausing 6329 lathe

dick56

Registered
Registered
I was given the many pieces of a Clausing 6329 lathe that has been in pieces for decades. I have it all together and made a faceplate for the 3 jaw. The 4 jaw already had a faceplate. The compound was broken somewhere along the line, but teh pieces were there. I carefully and slowly brazed the pieces together; not ideal but it works. I am down to the collet closer. Attached are two pictures; one of the collet closer I have and one pic out of the old Clausing catalog for the collet closer. I have the tapered nose piece (shown in the catalog picture) and 5C collets fit in nicely. What I don't understand is what is missing to connect the rod on the left end of the collet closer to open and close the collets. The rod must connect to another piece to facilitate locking the collet in the adaptor. A picture would help me fabricate another piece. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, how do I sign up for the Clausing lathe sub forum?

Attachments

• Collet chuck.jpg
    Collet chuck.jpg
    791.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Collet chuck in catalog.jpg
    Collet chuck in catalog.jpg
    756.9 KB · Views: 19
There must be a mounting point somewhere on the left side or rear of the headstock for attaching the collet closer pivot. Perhaps it was an accessory that had to be purchased separately? Examine your headstock and see if there are any threaded holes that might be used for that- maybe fabricate a block to mount up to it
Mark

There must be a mounting point somewhere on the left side or rear of the headstock for attaching the collet closer pivot. Perhaps it was an accessory that had to be purchased separately? Examine your headstock and see if there are any threaded holes that might be used for that- maybe fabricate a block to mount up to it
Mark
Mark, thanks for the reply. I see two 1/4X20 holes on the outside of the belt and gear cover. I will make a bracket to fit those holes with an attachment to connect to the collet closer arm.
Dick

Mark, thanks for the reply. I see two 1/4X20 holes on the outside of the belt and gear cover. I will make a bracket to fit those holes with an attachment to connect to the collet closer arm.
Dick
To close out this thread, I saw a picture of what was supposed to go on the closer tube and made it on the lathe. Also made the bracket to hold the collet closer rod to the lathe belt cover. The collet closer works like a charm now.

Back