Clausing Cholochester "11 Lathe question

Badge171

Active User
Registered
Hello all.
I have the Clausing 11 Lathe my question is the spindle taper is not an MT5 or an MT4 . It is the original collet system with the D1-3 mount. I have a faceplate with the cutout for a lathe dog but no way to center the work, Does any one know what I need to use the face plate dog combination.trying to mount and turn a Electric-motor shaft. I guess I could use the 4 Jaw with a center in it, using one of the jaws to power the dog, But not crazy about that set up.
Any help greatly appreciated
Best Regards

I have a Clausing 12" (actually 13" swing) that did not have the center bushing when I bought it. According to Royal who provided the collet adapter for the machine the spindle taper is a MT 4.5. If you have the collet adapter you could measure it or send it to Miller Machine and they will grind one for you for 65.00. You can also contact Stonehands, a member on this forum and see if he has any. He has a lot of Clausing, Southbend , and Logan surplus parts. Or you could try to turn one yourself, which is what I have been trying from one that I got from Stonehands. I think it is something that will require precision grinding to really get it right. Another option is Jolene Olds at Clausing, but you will pay a lot more tham the 65.00 that Miller Machine is asking. Good Luck

I got a quote from clausing for a #7686 4-1/2 to 3 sleeve for 61.04 back in January.
I saw an alternate method used by Keith fenner. He has a plain steel center that he puts in his 3 jaw. He then sets his compound to 30 degrees and re-cuts the point. That way the center is true and he dosn't need to pull off the chuck. He goes over some of the details in this video: [video=youtube;bddwK9Qal5s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bddwK9Qal5s&feature=c4-overview&list=UUDmxnPem-pPfJQATIkfgY2Q[/video] He showed re-pointing it in an earlier one, but I can't remember which one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the response.
Think Ill give it a try and make one.
Again than you
Frank

Back