Cleaning a Gerstner tool chest

MyLilMule

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I came across this on Fakebook but it obviously needs some work. I plan to glue the broken pieces back together, but outside of that, not sure just how far I want to take it. I can't afford the $2k plus to send it to Gerstner for a factory restoration, not that I would want that anyway.

I do know I want to clean it, but not sure what to use on it that won't cause more damage. This dates to 1940-1959, so I want to be careful to not cause more damage, but I am not looking to refinish it at all. I might take off the hardware and give it all a bath in evaporust and a polish on the buffer, but that maybe all since I don't want to remove any of the plating.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcomed.

Attachments

• 70033303559__3881FABC-57AD-47E2-B1CA-C68419F58E7D.jpeg
    70033303559__3881FABC-57AD-47E2-B1CA-C68419F58E7D.jpeg
    420.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_9688.jpeg
    IMG_9688.jpeg
    296.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_9686.jpeg
    IMG_9686.jpeg
    450.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I like the idea of a gentle clean, and leaving the rest alone. The old girl has survived this long, and I am sure will be taken care of now. I think the personality of these should just be appreciated. My opinion, and worth exactly what it cost.

Low odor mineral spirits and a soft bristle brush will lift the oily grime, just let it air out when finished!

i have restored 4 gerstners and 1 pilloid. working on the 5th gerstner now. use murphys oil soap or simple green. keep scrubbing. rinse and let dry a few days. sand to smooth out. you will never get out all of the nicks and dents. that's ok , gives it character. i finish mine with first flooding with watco brand danish oil (neutral) then finish with velvet oil. you can buy new sticky back green felt on line.

Back