Cleaning oil contamination from older electric motor

Excellent!! from what I saw on the pics you made a very neat job, two layers of shrink tube was a good idea as well! I also share your hatred of digital test equipment.You can test the megger by connecting a resistor across the leads, or connecting them together for a brief moment, it should go to zero. There is no return spring on megger meters, they take up their own random position untill you press the button or wind the handle. With the windey meggers we used a 1megohm test resistor, and a short circuit test (leads clipped together) to check the zero resistance end of the meter. The windey type wee megger is virtually bulletproof, everything that came afterwards is unfortunately fragile!
Phil

Maybe I wasn't winding my windey Megger fast enough!

This afternoon I gave it a stylish oil proof hat....

IMG_1843.JPG

Bernard

IMG_1843.JPG

Well that has put the tin hat on it! Good idea! Is that an Alba Shaper by any chance, I got one of them. Actually went to Nelson in the easrly seventies for a wedding, It reminded me of Bradford in the fifties, kids barefoot, clogs everywhere, and washing lines across the roads! Really nice people though!
Phil

Yep it's a 10" Alba, does yours have the motor in the same place or at the back?

Bernard

Yes, in the same place It is an Alba New 1A. I think the motor is a Hoover or a brook, not sure, I will check next time I am at the workshop (probably Tuesday). It is single phase as well..
Phil

Back