Cleaning the ways

alan camby

Active User
Registered
I have a Central Machinery round column bench top drill and mill machine.
The X and Y are very inconsistent at different points in their travels. I have adjusted the gibbs and made sure the locks are loose when moving the table but the table seems sticky.

Anyhow, I feel that the main problem is 20+ years of gunk and dried up lube on the ways and acme threads.
I was going to pull the table off and give everything a cleaning.

What is the best way to clean this part of the machine? I was thinking brake clean and a rag. Would it hurt anything to use some scotch brite also?

When i start putting it back together, what kind of oil should i put on the ways and threads. Would be nice if it was something i could buy at a auto store or a Walmart style store. I don't know where I can pick up way lube locally?? What weight and specs would be great.

I will get some pictures up when I start taking the table off.

Thanks,
Alan

You have the right idea there. Also you can buy lacquer thinner and a steel of brass bristled brush. If you can but a 1/4" x 1 3/4 x 4" tapered slip stone / medium grit Indian stove and stone the ways to remove the nicks. You can also order quarts of way oil from MSC. Medium #68.

Everyone should dismantle their machines from time to time to clean the ways every so often, depending on how much you use them.. Rich

Like already said, I would use way oil when putting it back together, it makes a HUGE difference in the feel. Any industrial kind of supply will have it, but its just as easy to order and have it come by UPS.

Mobil Vactra #2, Tru Edge, or anything like that. As long as it is way oil. I've had guys buy a new mill and complain that the screws aren't smooth and they squeak, and they are using regular oil in the one shot lube pump. Way oil always takes care of that.

I have found this stuff called Citrol that works great for cleaning that old built up gunk. http://stores.buyschaefferoil.com/-...s/Detail.bok?gclid=CLjh-JnJ-rYCFYpQOgodqmAA5Q

I had a machine that was really bad, nothing would take off the film, even scrubbing with what I used to use to clean, WD-40. Used this stuff and one wipe, it took anything right off.

That and a scrubbing pad should do it. (I use one that looks like scotch brite, but its not really abrasive like scotch brite, although the scotch brite could help clean the really tough spots)

Like already said, I would use way oil when putting it back together, it makes a HUGE difference in the feel. Any industrial kind of supply will have it, but its just as easy to order and have it come by UPS.

Mobil Vactra #2, Tru Edge, or anything like that. As long as it is way oil. I've had guys buy a new mill and complain that the screws aren't smooth and they squeak, and they are using regular oil in the one shot lube pump. Way oil always takes care of that.

I have found this stuff called Citrol that works great for cleaning that old built up gunk. http://stores.buyschaefferoil.com/-...s/Detail.bok?gclid=CLjh-JnJ-rYCFYpQOgodqmAA5Q

I had a machine that was really bad, nothing would take off the film, even scrubbing with what I used to use to clean, WD-40. Used this stuff and one wipe, it took anything right off.

That and a scrubbing pad should do it. (I use one that looks like scotch brite, but its not really abrasive like scotch brite, although the scotch brite could help clean the really tough spots)

Thanks. I am trying to sell it so that I can buy one of your machines. Figured it would sell better all cleaned up.

What do you think the value of the machine is? http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/15284-value-of-round-column-bench-mill

BTW I found out why the X axis was sticky. Someone took the thrust bearings out of the right side handle and put one back in the right handle and the other in the left handle side. Both thrust brearings should be on the right side handle bearing holder thingy.

Back