Cleaning up my "new" lathe

No-ladder

Active User
Registered
Not a tool gloat, though I am pretty happy. On a Ipad not sure how to post a picture, promise to send one along later. Maybe do a tear down narrative if there is interest. May be a reference of what not to do for you more talented folks.
So I bought a Clausing 1301 13x36 variable speed 3phase with static converter. This machine would cry if you asked it about it's former life. Real ham-fisted ape must have owned it. Lead screw 12p nail for shear pin...gosh at least bend the nail over. Every thing that needed a screwdriver must have been buggered up with butter knife (that's what my uses for a screw driver.) More dent and dings on cross slide top surfaces, but not one on ways:)) Even been crashed a few times. No teeth missing. Gears, leadscrew, internals look great.
Anyway doing a tear down due to rust, not outdoors type, but wet uninsulated garage rust, and recentlly roof leaked. Found some moisture in headstock.
So long story short version is what would you recommend for flushing headstock and apron ( both immersed in oil). Have new oil to put in but wanted to rinse it out. thinking mineral spirits? Hate to use a gallon of $wd-40.

Thanks
Charlie

Shawn,
Your better than I am. Will not work for me. At least on my gen 1 ipad

Well I'm drooling. I would love to have a nice big lathe, but my champagne tastes are not covered by my water drinker wallet. Looks like a really nice machine once you get the bugs and water out of it. Good luck and dont hesitate to ask any question you have if you need help. Welcome to the group and hope you find all you need and a few new freinds along the way.

Bob

Thanks guys, pretty excited about the "big" lathe. It feels like a real machine after working with my 9x20.

But back to my original question flushing the headstock and apron. Anyone have a recommendation. Flush with mineral spirits is what I was thinking??

Charlie

Mineral spirits, paint thinner, varsol - any will work. Remember that you can reuse it to do a second flush or more and then use clean stuff at the end.
Pierre

Shawn,
Your better than I am. Will not work for me. At least on my gen 1 ipad

Charlie, if Apple finally made it possible, it was only very recently. You would need the most recent update, and maybe even newer device.

You can however use an app from the app store to do it. Just follow that popup that appears when you first enter the site, or in the store search "tapatalk". There are other ways, but that is the easiest.

Congrats on the new machine too! We would love to see a restore thread, especially if we get to see pictures too. It's always fun to watch somebody else's project come together.

Here's a thought, Try Kerosene. Are you stripping her down? If you are what will you use to de-rust?

I'll second the kerosene. Mine didn't have water inside, but after decades without an oil change, there was sludge in the bottom and kero was an inexpensive and relatively safe solvent to clean the innards.

Back