Clickspring is back

I was contemplating a 10" wheel (lathe capacity.) Spin it up with air. I do think that could be dangerous.
Robert

You'd have to spin up crazy fast to risk it bursting unless you've done something with the design.
For belt and braces, machine a groove or grooves in the outside, wrap carbon fibre and resin into them. Kurt Shreckling managed to make a mini jet engine compressor capable of running up to 80,000 rpm out of plywood using that method! Seems insane, but it worked very well.

Why are lathe chucks rated so relatively low? I can't imagine the force to pull a jaw loose.
R

I honestly have no idea... Though most are made of cast iron, so their strength to weight ratio isn't as good as it could be and they're full of cutouts that are potential stress risers. They're also hung out on the end of a spindle rather than suspended between two points. I've welded up a 16" impeller for a 12bhp vacuum cleaner that weighed in at 5lbs and ran up to 3000rpm. It's terrifying, admittedly.

A few years ago our dust collector fan came apart. 5/8" main plate with cast aluminum curved fins welded on. Fan was rated @ 6600 cfm, 15hp. It was located outside. Several of the fins came through the return air duct and a 1/2" plywood sound baffle. Most of the fins were broken off. I'd guess when one failed it took out the others. Very loud and then ran out of balance until we could cut power. It was not caused by any foreign object getting into it. The system is a clean side pull through. Though some welds had partially failed none had totally released a fin. I'd guess the weld damage was from impact. The main plate is sort of dish shaped. With air entering the center and being thrown out radially. The main plate ended up with about 3/4" twist out of flat. No pieces ended up more than 25' into the shop after passing through the 1/2" ply. Those pieces were about 4" sq. X 5/8 thick. Big enough to hurt. No one was hurt.

Back