Clocking a 12" Sheldon

OlCatBob

Active User
Registered
Hey Guys, got a question for any with a Sheldon shaper. I had to take apart portions of the machine to get everything working properly and smoothly, I'm guessing this thing sat for many years. Anyway, the feed gear housing was all but glued in situ, and wouldn't allow the table to rise (or fall) with the crank. In taking it apart, I failed to notice that there are no "dots" placed on the gears so as to realign so the feed is working on the backstroke. Any ideas? The manual online makes no mention of this issue.
Any help would be appreciated.
Bob

Just finished a resto on a 12" pre-sheldon

shaper (Vernon). i can try to answer any questions you have but be advised this is my 1st shaper ;)

Ok lets try that again......

i just finished rebuilding a pre-sheldon (Vernon) 12" shaper and know exactly what your talking about. The 2 gears that mesh at a 45 degree angle inside the table for z axis travel will only go on one way. the pins used to hold them on are tapered which means one side of the hole is larger than the other. It will only go together in one way.

Thanks to all that responded; the feed mechanism is the one that has the T-slot and is hand tightened and is on the same shaft as the bull gear inside the main casting. If you can look at page 8 on the shaper manual, the gear (#12) is inside casting #11. I need to determine what angle the slot should be at with the ram all the way back. I did some sleuthing on other sites, and could not effectively make any determination. Also, there is an Up/Down stamped into the T-slotted drive wheel that needs to be determined as well. Boy! I should have stamped a dot when I first opened it up, just didn't think to do so.
I have recently messed up my knee, going to the orthopedist this afternoon, or I would go out and get some pics.
Thanks y'all
Bob

Thank you so much Mr. Rickabilly, I think you HAVE answered the question regarding the T-slot. Now I'll just ahve to wait for my knee to feel a little better prior to trying that arrangement out. I can maybe make a guess as to the Up/Down stamped into the disk. Hey, I have a 50/50 chance of getting it right the first time. Ah, the eternal optimist...
Thanks so much all, I'll let you know how lucky I get!
Bob

Ah wrong part

ah we are talking about different parts then. Some pix would be very helpful but im pretty sure I know what your talking about now. I will take a look this evening and see if I can answer it for you.

Re: Clocking a 12" Sheldon

Hey Guys,

just wanted to let you know that I reset the T-slot to a horizontal direction and now have it working as it should. Thanks to all who contributed info and encouragement.
Bob

Shaper%20&%20mill2.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Clocking a 12" Sheldon

Hey Rick, I just added a pic of the shaper and my mill in my last post; not the best of pictures, but the only one I have access to right now.
Bob

Back