CME/ Sanou, Shars, TMX, Gator 4 Jaw

I can't tell how worn it is or isn't. It looks like somebody went over it with a wire wheel and cleaned it up really well, but the square holes in the screws aren't terribly crisp like a mint condition chuck.

I can't tell how worn it is or isn't. It looks like somebody went over it with a wire wheel and cleaned it up really well, but the square holes in the screws aren't terribly crisp like a mint condition chuck.

That chuck is in near mint condition. I cannot see any evidence of mechanical clean up anywhere on it. Your call, of course.

Just speaking for myself, if I had to choose between a near mint direct mount US-made chuck or a Chinese chuck of unknown quality, both for nearly the same price, it would be a no-brainer and I would have already jumped on that Skinner chuck. This is especially true since the L00 spindle is obsolete - that chuck should not last long on ebay.

It didn't last long. I bought it! The owner said he disassembled and cleaned the whole thing. That's fine with me because im going to do the same thing when I get it in the mail. Thanks for all the input, fellas!

Hope it works out well for you. If I recall correctly, Skinner was absorbed by Cushman in the early 1900's. They were solidly made back then and you can tell by how thick the casting were. Compare that to a modern import chuck. I think you made a good decision.

Back