CNC / Engraving service

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi, perhaps this should be posted in classifieds but I figured here it would stand a better chance of being seen.

I'm 'plotting' out my next gift(s) for my better half and I always like to try to surprise her with something unique.
Was wondering if any members here offer 2D type CNC engraving services. I'm trying to get an idea if this is even
feasible cost wise.
What I'm thinking of is an image engraved in brass, not large, one to two inches. Kind of like the old tool room tags.
I can do up the required file(s) and supply the material. Heck I might even still have some cutters around from when I
did this sort of thing back in the 90's.

Thanks,
_Dan

Engraving is supported on most CAM programs and some of the more advanced CNC controllers. In the world of CNC, it generally refers to alpha-numeric printable characters and script fonts. One of the difficulties though is that some common fonts look really good on a computer monitor but, actually have internal artifacts that show-up when engraved. Typically, you might see little lines or curves at the edges and corners of the letters which don't show-up on a computer monitor. For this reason, when I do that kind of work, I always do it on a scrap piece, take a picture and get approval before cutting the real workpiece.

If you want an arbitrary image, that is possible too and most common CAM programs support it. The original files can be almost anything and it gets converted to a standard 3D file type. -Same kinds of issues apply as above and often times, when I do it, I need to go back and adjust things in the 3D file to make it look right.

If you go to a dedicated engraving shop, they most likely will only work with their approved fonts to cut down on the amount of trial and error. Arbitrary images or artwork is a step-up in cost and complexity. Most of the time, engraving shops will only work on softer materials.

Ray

Who don't have to make production jobs can "fix" the font artifacts cited by Ray using a software like FontForge.
Of course this requires time, because font drawing is not exactly simple… if there is to fix a single issue often it's faster to convert the text to a "path" and to edit it.

Hi Dan , I just sent you a PM. nice of you to think of something original for her.

Hi, perhaps this should be posted in classifieds but I figured here it would stand a better chance of being seen.

I'm 'plotting' out my next gift(s) for my better half and I always like to try to surprise her with something unique.
Was wondering if any members here offer 2D type CNC engraving services. I'm trying to get an idea if this is even
feasible cost wise.
What I'm thinking of is an image engraved in brass, not large, one to two inches. Kind of like the old tool room tags.
I can do up the required file(s) and supply the material. Heck I might even still have some cutters around from when I
did this sort of thing back in the 90's.

Thanks,
_Dan

Back